Generic example of a successful TOK presentation

JMR

Hi,

What would be a good generic example of a presentation that would get very high marks? You do need to have a real-life case as well as the knowledge issues, but like what kinds of things do you need to discuss about them for it to be analytical enough? How much off the actual case can you go, for example to what extent can you link other cases and stuff, but does it go too much off the actual topic then?

I did 2:

A) Child abuse: I talked generally about child abuse, causes and evrything else about it. Then I added a few slides about how this relates to TOK interms of Emotions and Perception. How child abusive acts are seen normal by people with different background and emotion(abused when a child..etc)..and perception etc. I got 17/20 on that.

B) AIDS in Africa: Briefly about AIDS and its causes and stuff. Then I talked about who the reponsibilty should be put on: Goverment, UN, individuals..etc. We took South Africa as an example then we related it to TOK by emotion and perception once again. I got 18/20 on that

Do on something you like and have interest in so it's more entertainement to do.

Man-Made Climate Change: How do we know it's happening? We can't feel the weather change by half a degree. Weather changes all the time anyway, was is THIS any different? How do we know it's not the sun that's screwed up? Language (charts, graphs, newspapers by scientists), Emotion (generations from now, people will suffer from the consequences), Reason (it makes logical sense for the CO2 levels in the atmosphere to raise because of the industrial revolution), Perception (everyone perceives it to be true, it's pretty much an accepted fact nowadays).

Try and find something different that will engage your audience. For example, a student at my school did a presentation on Australian shark attacks, and how popular public response was to call for Great White Shark culling. He identified the attitudes that caused this and concluded that humans called for the sharks to be killed because they had endangered human life, and thus assumed that human life was more valuble than shark life. He investigated the basis on which humans build this subconcious belief, and ponted out that each time we put on lipstick made from fish scales or ate a Christmas roast, we made a subconcious judgement that our vanity/hunder was more important than the fish/chicken. He asked whether this was justified, and presented the consequences of a decision for or against. It was extremely objective and analytical. It was striking to an audience because it questioned underlying beliefs typically taken for granted. Try and find an event that will connect with your audience, and provoke genuine throught. This is a signal to your marker that you have really understood the knowledge issue behind the real-life event. You are not presenting or preaching. You are engaging. Try to find an event condicive to this aim.