IOP HELP!

IBSpencer

I'm starting my IOP for my Language Arts class and we could choose from Joy Luck Club, The Great Gatsby, Antigone, and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I chose Huck Finn being a favorite novel and having read it before. I want to do something about how The townspeople they come across and other characters in the book abide by the socially moral code and how Huck abides by his own reasoned code which at times seems to be the more moral even though he'll "go to the bad place". I'm thinking of involving the class by asking them how they feel about different situations Huck ends up in and what they would think is Moral but i don't know if that's be contemporary enough and I'm kinda at a loss for how to do that. Does anyone have any ideas?

Do you want to do a full-on structured discussion or just kind of start off/end with the class's input?

I think it'd be a good idea to ask what your peers think a moral is and if it's dictated by society or if it's more personal than that.

Why does it need to be contemporary? What do you mean by contemporary? Do you mean if it's original enough? I don't think it's a bad topic. What you might want to do is focus in on the character and the book. I'm thinking it'll be easy to go off on a tangent and talk about morals in general, but you should probably use Huck's morals/moral conscience to point out something in Huck Finn, whether it's about Huck or the town or what Twain's trying to say. Definitely make sure you can back up whatever claims you're trying to make with your text and make sure you understand the character. [you might need to read some parts multiple times to get a deeper grasp] G'luck.

^^ Just to add, make sure you don't let the class get toooo involved. Morality is a massive, massive (unanswerable) question to ask people (if any of them even know where to start, the discussion could probably roll on for days, very little of it anything to do with what will be getting you marks!) and you do have to make sure you manage to cram in enough literary features, analysis etc. on your own part within the time. It's not necessary to involve the class unless you want to, and if you reckon it'd be at all detrimental to your presentation, I'd err on the side of caution. Whether they applaud at the end or sleep through it isn't a big deal, and you can make them ask you questions at the end for some form of interaction -- best bet is to think what you'd like to be asked and give them to a couple of your best friends to fire at you. Never be caught out that way! :D

Umm i wasn't thinking full on discussion because with the contemporary aspect (by which i mean that morals change over time)... I don't know. Definitely not a full on discussion but maybe just to get some involvement. Going off on a tangent is true and I'd probably be the most likely to do that so thanks for that advice in particular but thank's for the general imput that helps me out a lot