How do you know you have done enough CAS now there is no hours?

kankeel

I would also like to know a definite answer for this.

What i've gathered is that you need to do it for almost the whole 2 years, because the new CAS requires you do at least one long term project which runs over your whole IB and covers multiple areas of CAS. So maybe for the whole time? Which kind of sucks, because i've already done 50+ hours in all 3 areas already and my major project is only lasting for this year I think.

You need to do an equal amount of Creativity, Action and Service. Also, you need to do an equal amount of short-term, medium-term and long-term.

Equal amount can be probably off by 1 (or maybe 2 if you push it).

Short-term is 1 day - 30 days.

Medium is 1 month - 4 months.

Long term is 4 months and longer.

In my opinion, you should do 3 in each category (of C, A, S) as well as 3 in (short-term, medium-term and long-term).

Basically: 3 short-term activities (one creative, one action, one service), 3 medium-term (one creative, one action, one service) and 3 long-term (one creative, one action, one service).

BUT, a signature is pretty much useless now. You need other evidence (t-shirt you wore for volunteering, photo of you doing the work, email you got confirming your work, etc.)

HOWEVER,

if you are a 2010 candidate, then for the activities that you have done (and you have hours for),

you can still use those.

Edited by KLSmash

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is the first time I hear about this.

Good thing I do not have to worry about all the short/medium/long term projects for each category.

Yay for us, May 2010 candidates!

Ditto this. I would hate to have to go back and get photos for everything, especially because I volunteered at a pool and it is illegal to take pictures of the little kids in bathing suits...

• 5 weeks later...

Disclaimer: I graduate May 2011 so there may have been a change in system from the 2010 kids, but here is how I know it:

The hours are still around, and it's still compulsory to get 50 hours each of Creativity, Action and Service (which is honestly incredibly easy if you have a few hours of extracurricular activities a week - we had a similar program but just for Community and Service hours in MYP and I worried about it at first but ended up having three times the number of hours originally required). However now the supervisors are now supposed to put more emphasis on your personal development and there are learning outcomes you are supposed to target and provide evidence for as you go along. (The learning outcomes are: Increased awareness of your strengths and areas for growth, Undertaking new challenges, Planned and initiated activities, Working collaboratively with others, Show perseverance and commitment, Engaged with issues of global importance, Consider ethical implications, Develop new skills.) Apparently some schools have supervisors requiring that all your activities benefit the society in some way, but really only Service activities need to do this, and anyway you can usually twist your description of the activity to somehow focus on society.

I haven't heard anything at all about short-term or long-term activities; here they encourage us to sign up for activities that continue for the rest of our time in school as it allows us to show commitment and development.

That thing about a CAS Project is true and we've started on ours, but the supervisors haven't really bothered about it. I'm not too worried about it because apparently my school has a reputation for CAS or something like that so I trust the system :P.

• 5 months later...