Why did you choose the IB programme?

I am an oversea student ("legal people" called me international student) and i had 3 choices in Australia: HSC / IB / ACT.

The IB firstly satisfies the challenge part with such... charming global syllabus. Secondly, they have meaningful and interesting stuffs that cal towards the final mark like: CAS, TOK & especially EE (reflect your interest or i should say career path). Thirdly, it helped me stand out in the international market. Anw, I made the choice myself without considering my parents' advice (since they all went for the word "challenge" and I agreed to go to Uni here if I can :) ... and if I got no other options ^^!)

• 3 weeks later...

Why? ...Because it was better than the alternative, imo. The A level syllabus here goes much too indepth and in much too shallow a range of subjects for me to feel comfortable with my future (still don't really know what to do with my life!).

And also because of the little things. Like TOK, EE and CAS. (: Here, the system's equivalent of EE is Project Work, where you group up with people to work on a research question, produce a report ect. My friends tell me it's utter, utter BS and a major pain in the a.

• 3 months later...
Guest Parshant DiPersia

I actually chose it because all the kids in my home high school were drugggies...

and that school had a VERY bad reputation in drug abuse..

so do ALL the schools in my city, i thought i'd give IB a try because i wanted to saty away from my friends. (now druggies)

i made a good decision. made MANY friends.

good thing about IB is that people who are determined to stay in the program, stay for four years, so your friendship bond gets bigger. -_-

and yeah, that's basically it.

honestly, i still don't know how i got in. lol

i had VERY bad marks. :panic:

nevertheless, TADALOO motha f... lol jk

• 6 months later...

I actually chose it because all the kids in my home high school were drugggies...

and that school had a VERY bad reputation in drug abuse..

so do ALL the schools in my city, i thought i'd give IB a try because i wanted to saty away from my friends. (now druggies)

Funny since in my city it's the school with IB classes that is the most notorious for it. And there are lots of party and fashion-obsessed people there.

I prefer IB to Polish system. I mean, IB is much harder, but still I can focus on 6 subjects and not bother about 15. I guess it's gonna prepare be better for studies at uni - learning in English, a lot of writing and the like.

Edited by lilianna009

I chose IB because I wanted better teachers, teachers that wanted to teach me, and help me when I needed it. My best friend was also at our IB school, even though it's 40+ mins away depending on where you live.

I also wanted a challenge for myself, also I'm crazy, nutso girl soo IB is the suitor of my nutsiness. I'm happy I went to my IB school, I've met so many smart, nice, and inspiring people as friends. Also my lovely, giving teachers who have taught me so much more.

(AND a plus for IB school, I got to, is we get to have lunch off-campus, meaning out to eat everyday :) )

• 2 weeks later...

In my town there are just two state high schools. One has a really bad reputation and the other... I didn't like it. Though there goes my boyfriend, best friends, old classmates etc. I'd knew nearly everyone there. And I didn't want to.

Also after Polish Matura you don't have too much options to choose from. And also doing all these useless subjects... I said that I won't stand this for another 3 years, I mean the Polish curriculum.

I wanted to go to better school. In different city. And my parents wouldn't agree for a class which is in our town... So I decided to go to preIB, then to IB.

But seriously I discovered IB when I was about 11 years old. Back then I was dreaming of studying Law on Yale (lol...). Then I asked myself "what am I thinking of?" Also the eager to become a lawyer passed away very quickly. I fell in love with Chemistry and Biology, met my aunt (long story of family conflicts...) who is a surgeon and simply fell over heels for Medicine. And IB seemed right to choose. More challenging, less subjects = more time to concentrate on my favourite ones and also - worldwide recognized.

There are moments when I almost regret it. My roommate set me out and now I had to rent whole flat on my own. Sitting all day long alone, without anyone to talk to is sometimes pretty depressing. But then I think about all my dreams and hopes which depends on IB and I stop whining. It's was my own decision and as far I am glad that I made it.

Guest Parshant DaVinci

In my town there are just two state high schools. One has a really bad reputation and the other... I didn't like it. Though there goes my boyfriend, best friends, old classmates etc. I'd knew nearly everyone there. And I didn't want to.

Also after Polish Matura you don't have too much options to choose from. And also doing all these useless subjects... I said that I won't stand this for another 3 years, I mean the Polish curriculum.

I wanted to go to better school. In different city. And my parents wouldn't agree for a class which is in our town... So I decided to go to preIB, then to IB.

But seriously I discovered IB when I was about 11 years old. Back then I was dreaming of studying Law on Yale (lol...). Then I asked myself "what am I thinking of?" Also the eager to become a lawyer passed away very quickly. I fell in love with Chemistry and Biology, met my aunt (long story of family conflicts...) who is a surgeon and simply fell over heels for Medicine. And IB seemed right to choose. More challenging, less subjects = more time to concentrate on my favourite ones and also - worldwide recognized.

There are moments when I almost regret it. My roommate set me out and now I had to rent whole flat on my own. Sitting all day long alone, without anyone to talk to is sometimes pretty depressing. But then I think about all my dreams and hopes which depends on IB and I stop whining. It's was my own decision and as far I am glad that I made it.

:) awh, looks like u made the right choice huh?

you have no idea how much i'd kill to live my own independent life!

i would die to rent a whole flat of my own, yeah, it'd be costly, but yeah. My parents make all the choices for me here, alot of them I support, alot of them I dont.

I wish i could set out to follow my dreams like you, you had the power to actually choose uor path, i admire that about you :)

Coz A-Levels wouldn't have challenged me enough and the school that gave me an academic scholarship was an IB school and I really, really liked the fact that during ski seasons (Jan, Feb, and March) we got half days on Tuesdays and Thursdays to go snowboarding and skiing and the school included ski lessons and equipment in the tuition. In the face of that became very attractive

Guest Parshant DaVinci

Coz A-Levels wouldn't have challenged me enough and the school that gave me an academic scholarship was an IB school and I really, really liked the fact that during ski seasons (Jan, Feb, and March) we got half days on Tuesdays and Thursdays to go snowboarding and skiing and the school included ski lessons and equipment in the tuition. In the face of that became very attractive

wow sir!! you got some outstanding marks and a total of 41!! :o

im impressed

:) awh, looks like u made the right choice huh?

you have no idea how much i'd kill to live my own independent life!

i would die to rent a whole flat of my own, yeah, it'd be costly, but yeah. My parents make all the choices for me here, alot of them I support, alot of them I dont.

I wish i could set out to follow my dreams like you, you had the power to actually choose uor path, i admire that about you :)

For now - yes, it looks like I made the right choice ;) But I'm starting the real IB this September so... But I'm almost sure I won't regret it ;)

You say this, now... That you'd kill to live your own independent life... But I'll send you a PM and tell you something about this 'fantastic living on my own', ok? Although I had no choice and I got used to it, now I mean...

Well thanks for those nice words ;) But if you truly want something so badly as me, if it go wrong I'll loose almost everything (yea, I know this sounds weird... But after sacrificing so much it'll feel like this).

But I'm pretty optimistic ;)

• 1 month later...

No reason. My friend, whom I hate for this reason, suggested me to. I'm a US citizen going to a US university, so I find no point in doing it. I know, it might give me some credit, prepare me for college... but IB exams are SO expensive, and I could have taken AP courses instead. Right now, I regret it so much and I have lots of days where I wonder if I should drop it (I only don't because it probably looks bad on my transcript if I did).

Actually, I think I did the IB ONLY so I could take TOK, since TOK was a course only IB students could take. And then they tell me this year that anyone can take TOK... SO. MAD.