Biology HL and Chemistry HL?

do i have to take both Biology HL and Chemistry HL if i want to study medicine? would it be to hard? so maybe i should take chemistry sl?

this is what i would take:

english hl, biology hl, chemistry hl, history sl,french sl, math sl

or

english hl, biology hl, history hl, chemistry sl, french sl, math sl

also i would have to do a 3/4 year science degree before med school, so maybe it is not necessary to take Biology and Chemistry at HL.??? thanks so much!

Where do you want to go to Medical school? :P

A lot of this is country and university-dependent. For instance in the United Kingdom, you would HAVE to take HL Chem regardless of where you wanted to go (even to get onto a science course, unless it had nothing at all to do with Chemistry). Everything else is kinda optional. I'm not entirely sure in Canada, but I know for sure HL Chem is the only real prerequisite for Medicine here (although all right-minded people do HL Biology too, it's so useful... !).

My advice would be to look at the University websites and see what sorts of requirements they have for the IB. I'm pretty sure that in Canada if you do well in a HL subject you get "credits" for it which mean you can skip out some of the more basic courses for that subject. So it'd be useful at least, even if I can't confirm if it's essential or not :)

If you want to do Medicine, I'd VERY strongly recommend HL Bio and Chem just from the perspective of giving yourself a head start - also if you find both of those very difficult (no worries, it's normal to find them hard, I'm just saying if you find them REALLY difficult) possibly Medicine isn't the best idea! Bio and Chem on that course is a bit intense and you'll want to know you can handle a step up :)

english hl, biology hl, chemistry hl, history sl,french sl, math sl

^^ Those're virtually the same HL and SLs as I did, swapping the language and humanity around a bit, and it's really not too difficult a combination. Not easy, but not as impossible as a couple of other combinations!! Doing my A1 language (that's English) at HL was the best decision I ever made! You save yourself soo much effort and revision. Good choice, if I do say so myself... ;D

You don't have to take both bio and chem at HL since if you stay in Canada/US for medicine then you need to first complete a Bachelor's degree anyways. But I would recommend it, my school only offered bio at SL and I definitely would have taken bio and chem at HL if I got the opportunity (I'm applying to med school next year, right now I'm in my second year of uni).

Edited by __inthemaking

You know without knowing where you're going to study, I think you should take chem and bio HLs.

Why would you need history HL if you're going to do medicine?!

Plus, the things you're going to learn in Chem and Bio HL are going to make you so grateful to IB when you start, just like I am now.

I strongly advise you to take chem and bio HL. Dont think about how stressful its going to be because thats what you're going to go through in Med school, so you're better off getting used to it now. :P

• 2 weeks later...

My advce to you is as well taking Biology HL and Chemistry HL, because in medicine they are very important. when you come to enter medical school you will be very thankful on taking those too as medicne is nearly all about bio and chem. im currently taking chem and bio at hl and im applying for biomedical engineering although phys is advisable

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard that History HL is quite difficult. Plus, if you're interested in pursuing the sciences in university, why would you want to take History HL over Chemistry HL?

Plus, if you like Science and are good at it (which I hope is that case if you're aiming for Med school), Chemistry HL & Biology HL will not prove to be extremely difficult or such.

Edited by 1-2-3