Lack of Courses?

elmar

I like that it's so small in your school Larxyle

In our school we have :

Group 1 : English A1 HL/SL, German A1 HL/SL

Group 2 : English A2 HL/SL, French A2 HL/SL, French B HL/SL, German B HL/SL, Italian B HL/SL(only as elective), Spanish B HL/SL(only as elective), Japanese B SL(only as elective), Japanese ab initio, Spanish ab initio, Italian ab initio

Group 3 : History HL/SL, Geography HL/SL, B&M HL/SL, Social and cultural anthropology HL/SL

Group 4 : Biology HL/SL, Physics HL/SL, Chemistry HL/SL, Design and Technology HL/SL

Group 5 : Maths Studies, Maths HL/SL, Computer Science

Group 6 : Theatre Arts HL/SL, Visual Art HL/SL, Music HL/SL

Next year they're introducing Dance and Sport Science as an elective

Our school is pretty small and it's a state school, so yes, we don't have that many courses.

The chemistry courses just came in with our generation (and that just because we had a signing campaign arranged by ourselves) and we still don't have any chemistry higher level (leading to me having to do self study in Chemistry HL).

We didn't have economcis and drama (that newly came in this year's generation), but we also have quite a few other lacking subjects.

Music and geography would probably be the most typical, I presume.

My school offers quite a large range of subjects, but that's not true for most IB schools in Mexico.

Our school:

1 - English A1 HL/SL - Spanish A1 HL/SL - Text and Performance SL

2 - English A2 HL/SL - Spanish A2 HL/SL - Spanish ab initio SL (just for foreigners)

3 - History, Psychology, Economics, Business and Geography (All at HL/SL)

4 - Chemistry, Physics, Biology at HL/SL - Environmental Systems SL

5 - All 3 levels of Maths

6 - Visual Arts, Theatre, Music, Film, French B, Chemistry in Spanish (All at HL/SL) - French ab, Mandarin ab and Computer Science only at SL

Some classes have very few students as you only need 2 students to offer the course. Text and Performance (2), Spanish ab (1), History HL (4), Chemistry (5), Maths HL (4), Theatre (2), Film (5), Chemistry in Spanish (4), Mandarin (3), Computer Science (3), French ab (4).

However, most IB schools in Mexico have set courses:

Spanish A1 HL

English B HL

History HL

Biology or Physics SL

Maths Studies

Art SL

Quite sucky if you ask me...

Wow, you guys really have limited choices. Our school had so many choices, it was one choice in Group 6 that rlly got me into IB. That's Computer Science for me and I love it :)

So for us, its:

Group 1: English A1, or any other Self-Study Language

Group 2: French, German, German AB, Spanish, Spanish AB, Chinese B2, Chinese A2

Group 3: Ecosystems and Society(SL only), Geography, History, Psychology, Philosophy, Business&Management, Economics

Group 4: Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Information technology in a global society, D&T Subjects: Electronics, Resistant Materials, Textiles, Food Technology, Graphics

Group 5: Maths (HL/SL/Studies)

Group 6: Theatre Arts, Visual Arts, Computer Science, Film Studies

All subjects are available at both HL and SL and Studies(Maths) so we rlly have so much to choose from :)

I really can't imagine how I'd get the willpower to do IB if Id never seen the choice for Comp Sci (It's technically supposed to go in group5 but our school forced us to do Maths so yea...not that im complaining.). So im rlly satisfied with our options and considering my school's only in its 3/4th year of IB :D

I guess it just depends on where ur school is? :D

Edited by Yiruna

Whoa, I'm so jealous for the variety of courses you guys have.. In our school there's only:

1. English A1, Estonian A1

2. English A2, French B, Russian B

3. History

4. Biology, Chemistry

5. Maths

6. nothing here, gotta pick one additional subject from above:(

(all subjects SL and HL)

So yea, pretty poor choice. But were the first year of IB so its kinda forgivable. However, if i'd given the chance i'd have picked also physics, maybe economics and probably smth from visual arts.

• Like 1

My highest wish was for them to have cultural and social anthropology on my school but.. well, things are as they are. This is what we could choose from:

Swedish A1

English A2

History - Business & management (only SL) - Psychology

Biology - Chemistry

Math SL - Math Studies (no HL math)

French B - German B

we have such a small range, and most of the subjects i would kill do to we don't have...

and we're strongly pushed away from doing self study.

Group 1: English A1 - SL/HL

Group 2: Japanese and Spanish Ab Initio....we have two students doing spanish B

Group 3: History, Business and managment HL/SL and Environmental systems and societs SL only

Group 4: Chem, Physics, Biol HL/SL and Environmental S&S, SL only.

Group 5: we have all the maths, HL / SL / Studies

Group 6: Visual arts, Music and Film

what really annoys me is that there is one student doing music...but there is like 7 students wanting to do theatre arts...but they don't offer cause one cohort didn't like it!!!

ahh, IB!

We have:

Group 1 : English A1, Finnish A1

Group 2 : English A2, French B, German AB

Group 3 : History, Economics, Psychology

Group 4 : Biology, Physics, Chemistry

Group 5 : Maths

Group 6 : Theatre arts

with all other subjects both SL/HL but Economics and Theatre arts (my year is the first year for them.)

I'm still quite happy with the subject selection though, as we only have about 20 people per class so for example our Theatre arts and Chemisty classes only have 4 people or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like everyone has limited choice, my school has:

Group one: English A1 SL/HL

Group two: French B, German B SL/HL, Italian Ab Initio

Group three: History, Philosophy SL/HL

Group four: Biology, Chemistry SL/HL

Group five: Math SL

Group six: none, had to choose another.

I am doing Math SL, English HL, French SL, German HL, History HL and Biology HL. - I got roped into doing four HLs because of German there is only two of us and we can't be joined into the A level class and the other is doing HL and I was going to do SL, but...

Because of only 9 of us, everyone had to do French, English, Math SL. And there was limited combinations that you could do within the limited subjects.

But at least they didn't make it too complicated for timetables.

• 3 weeks later...

My school has a VERY limited selection:

Group 1: English HL

Group 2: Spanish B, French B (taken as part of a regular high school class), German B (taken as part of a regular high school class)

Group 3: History HL, Psychology SL/HL

Group 4: Biology SL/HL, Chemistry HL

Group 5: Math Studies, Math SL

Group 6: Music SL, Visual Arts SL/HL

I think we are lucky, because with an average of 60 students doing IB in my school, we have the following:

Group 1: English A1 HL/SL, French A1 HL/SL (people who want another language have to self-study)

Group 2: English A2 HL/SL, English B HL/SL, French A2 HL/SL, French B HL/SL, French Ab Initio, Spanish B HL/SL, Spanish Ab Initio

Group 3: History HL/SL, Geography HL/SL, Psychology HL/SL, Economics HL/SL, Business & Management HL/SL, ITGS HL/SL

Group 4: Physics HL/SL, Chemistry HL/SL, Biology HL/SL, Design & Technology HL/SL

Group 5: Maths Studies, Maths SL, Maths HL, Computer Science HL/SL

Group 6: Visual Arts HL/SL

Although I think they've stopped Compsci now..

• 1 month later...

Well, everyone seems to have a widre range of subjects to choose. My school only offers:

G. 1: Spanish A1 HL

G. 2: English B HL

G. 3: History HL; Social and Cultural Anthropology HL; Business & Management HL/SL

G. 4: Biology HL/SL; Physics SL; Chemistry SL

G. 5: Maths SL

G. 6: none...

I guess that the limited options must be because my school is new at the programme (This is our 3rd year with it), and that there will be more options as time passes by.

Wow, my class is quite lucky. We have 25 students in IB1, and we're running in conjunction with NZ's national qualifications, yet we have quite a few choices.

This year, IB1 has classes for:

Group 1: English A1 SL/HL

Group 2: French B SL, Japanese B SL, Spanish Ab Initio

Group 3: History SL/HL, Geography SL/HL, ITGS HL

Group 4: Biology SL/HL, Chemistry SL/HL, Physics SL/HL

Group 5: Maths HL/SL, Maths Studies

Group 6: Theatre Arts SL/HL, Visual Art SL/HL, Music SL/HL, Classics & Art History SL.

We were also offered Chinese B SL, Economics SL/HL, Sports Exercise & Health Science. Our classes have HL and SL students together, except for in English and Maths. They're also quite small; I think the largest is Chemistry, with 19, and the smallest classes are Music, with 1 student, then Geography and Theatre Arts, with three students each. Yet they wouldn't let the Classics & Art History class go ahead because there were only two people who wanted to do it..

• 1 month later...

Group 1

Language A1

Norwegian HL

Norwegian SL

Group 2

LanguageA2/B

Language Ab initio

English A2

English B

Norwegian B

English A2

French B

German B

Spanish B

Group 3

Individuals and societies

History HL/SL

Economics HL/SL

Group 4

Experimental sciences

Physics HL/SL

Chemistry HL/SL

Biology SL

Group 5

Mathematics HL/SL

Math. Studies

Group 6

Here is our choices. I reallly would have loiked to have Japanese ab inito. Would be usefull considering im planing to study at Japanese university.

• 2 weeks later...

First, I thought our school didn't offer a lot of subjects but after reading this thread, I think we have enough to choose from:

Group 1: English A1 HL

Group 2: French B SL/HL, German B SL/HL, Latin SL, Spanish B SL/HL

Group 3: 20th Century World History SL, History of Americas HL, Business & Management SL, Psychology SL/HL

Group 4: Biology SL/HL, Chemistry HL, Physics HL, Environ. Systems & Societies SL

Group 5: Mathematical Studies SL, Mathematics SL(, Mathematics HL, but is not offered due to low enrollment)

Group 6: Music SL/HL, Teater SL, Visual Arts SL/HL

Theory of Knowledge

I wish we had Geography, Spanish and French A2, and maybe Economics. I also would like to take Math HL but we don't have enough kids to take it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tahaqarni

wow some of your schools have soo many choices

at my school, there are barely any:

Group 1: English A1 HL

Group 2 : French A2 SL

Group 3 : Psychology SL, History SL, Economics HL

Group 4: Biology HL/SL, Chemistry HL, Physics SL

Group 5: Math SL

Group 6: Visual Arts SL

Wow, I thought my school was bad. Some of you have it a lot worse though.

My school has:

English A1 HL

French B SL/HL

Spanish AB SL

History SL/HL

Economics SL/HL

Mathematics SL

Math Studies SL

Physics SL

Chemistry SL

Biology SL/HL

But it sucks for people like me who are going into engineering/science and we can't get HL physics, chemistry or math.

• 4 weeks later...