EE Footnotes and Works Cited

Peachez

Hello all,

I was just wondering how the footnotes and wors cited should be formatted. Like, for works cited is it supposed to be in alphabetical order or like: books, web sources, inteviews, etc.? Does the IBO want anything soecific? I could not find the answer to my question in the EE Quide, does any of you know?

Thanks.

Edited by Peachez

This depends on what "style" of referencing you want to use. Basically the style you use is irrelevant (provided it's a proper style!), provided you consistently use whatever you go for. The way I did mine (if this helps) was to use the Harvard Referencing System -- you bracket the date of publishing after anything you reference in the text, so for instance: "as K. Poplar (2003) said..." and then list all the works/websites etc. at the end in alphabetical order. The idea of sticking the name and date of publishing in the text is to make it traceable back to your reference page. I'm sure you can find much better explanations (of both it or any other style!) if you google it, but more or less the key thing is to consistently use AN accepted form of referencing. Which it is is quite up to you :P

Don't fret too much about getting your Bibliography correct in every single minor particular. Your school library may even have a leaflet on referencing (for some reason this duty is always delegated to libraries instead of the actual people who give you the essay...) which you can follow. If you're unsure of anything, ask somebody, and if they don't know the answer, just go for whatever fits in best with your other references and whatever contains all the information you consider essential (for instance things like giving dates of access for web pages).

• Like 1

Well, I am already using footnotes and I do not want to change that to what you did ("as K. Poplar (2003) said..." ).

So basically, I think I am using Chicago style, but I am not sure. I was going to use MLA, but they require the information in parenthesis which I do not want to use. But yea, I guess I will ask the librarians or some other people. Thanks :P

Just to clarify what Sandwich said...

Since IB doesn't care about what format you're using, your job is to make whatever you're doing consistent. Your school may have other rules, but IB doesn't.

So for your bibliography, it doesn't matter. I organize it in alphabetical order of the author's last name.

For footnotes, I guess you could put the author's name in the footnote to show that the quote is by that author. And when you're introducing the quote, I would go ahead and say According to ____, "..."1 but if you're paraphrasing what an author said, you might say Others think this is too romanticized....2, where the 1 and 2 are referencing the footnotes.

I agree with Sandwich here: "If you're unsure of anything, ask somebody, and if they don't know the answer, just go for whatever fits in best with your other references and whatever contains all the information you consider essential"

• Like 1