[Maths HL] Ratios of Areas and Volumes

Austin Glau

For the Investigating Ratios of Areas and Volumes Portfolio, I got the Conjecture for ratios of areas A and B, and I got to 4. But it says

4. Are there general formulae for the ratios of the volumes of revolution generated by the regions A and B when they are each rotated about

(a) the x-axis?

(b) the y-axis?

State and prove your conjecture.

How should I set this up the proof?

That's for part 3, right? So now you need to find the ratio between the volumes of revolution you get when you rotate the areas around the axes.

Umm... actually, I'm a bit unsure exactly what the problem is. Do you have problems making the conjecture, or proving it?

Umm... actually, I'm a bit unsure exactly what the problem is. Do you have problems making the conjecture, or proving it?

I have problems making the conjecture. I got that Volume of A is 1145pi and volume of b is 310pi for the x-axis, which doesn't hold for my conjecture (B should be 310*n=310*3=930). I got a similarly odd answers for y-axis, 89pi and 119.2pi.

So my n:1 conjecture doesn't work.

I think my problem might be how I am getting the volume. I use

pi*integral(b,a)[f(x)^2-g(x)^2]

(the washer method or something like that)

Where f(x) is the top function,b^n, and g(x) is the function I am testing.

Is this method applicable for this kind of problem, because Im not sure i did it right.

Edited by 2401 I Hate Tangents

I think the answer is supposed to be something like 2n:1 or n/2:1. You could try taking the ratios between other volumes that you're doing. For example, if you let Ax be the volume of A around the x-axis, and similarly with Bx, Ay and By, you could try taking Ax:Bx, Ax:By and Bx:By to see if you get anything interesting.

Otherwise, I think the method you're using is correct, at least for finding Bx. It's much harder to find By and Ax.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have problems making the conjecture. I got that Volume of A is 1145pi and volume of b is 310pi for the x-axis, which doesn't hold for my conjecture (B should be 310*n=310*3=930). I got a similarly odd answers for y-axis, 89pi and 119.2pi.

So my n:1 conjecture doesn't work.

I think my problem might be how I am getting the volume. I use

pi*integral(b,a)[f(x)^2-g(x)^2]

(the washer method or something like that)

Where f(x) is the top function,b^n, and g(x) is the function I am testing.

Is this method applicable for this kind of problem, because Im not sure i did it right.

the eqn should be pi * integral(b~a)[f(x)^2] or pi * integral(b~a)[f(y)^2

• Like 1