Failing CAS?

nicxl

Hello,

I'd like to know, just out of curiosity - what happens if you fail to get enough CAS?

I heard some time ago that if it happens, you get an extra year to complete CAS, and then you get the diploma. Are there any other consequences (besides getting the diploma later)?

Honestly, I never heard about being able to have a one year extension before you get the Diploma.

You should have your CAS completed. It is not that difficult, really. Even if you do it all in your last year of IB it is manageable to do that, just plan your time wisely. But other than that, I never heard of an extension, maybe which only applies to certain individual cases, but try your best to finish it on time. If everyone can, why can’t you?

• Like 1

From what I understand, coming directly from a school and experience i read about i think a year ago, is nothing really. The school extended the deadline for the CAS hours for the kid and he had to finish it during summer.

Though I can imagine it can become messy.

I am sure CAS is not assessed heavily on school to IB relations. Perhaps an agreement that the school sends to Ib that everything has been done, if that. Its just like checking EE for plagiarism. You are expected to keep up with it.

But from what I understand nothing. I think his diploma was physically delayed by the school only, until CAS hours were done. As in, the Diploma was sent to the school or recognition of passing and the school kept it until CAS was done.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think, for me at least, NOT finishing my CAS hours would be a bit of a challange lolz, so much counts... i went wakeboarding yesterday - that counts. I do sport - all sport counts. I do 40 hour famine - that counts. Lol pretty much everything counts for CAS in one way or another, it seems to me the issue is more how to throughly document your CAS hours, rather than actually getting them done.

I always thought failing to complete your CAS requirements meant that you only got an IB certificate and not the full diploma, though I suppose some schools might allow you to stay enrolled for longer so you can catch up. But recently the focus has shifted from completing the set amount of hours to the learning outcomes and providing evidence for your development, so I'm not so sure anymore.

Ah, here it is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creativity%2C_action%2C_service

CAS is not assessed, but a failure to complete and report the full 150 hours is a failing condition for the IB Diploma. However, the candidate has over one year to make up the 150 hours following the end of the course to receive the diploma. Those not doing the full IB Diploma but instead the associate program to obtain an IB certificate are only required to have 100 CAS hours.
Edited by Charizard
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

Hello,

I'd like to know, just out of curiosity - what happens if you fail to get enough CAS?

I heard some time ago that if it happens, you get an extra year to complete CAS, and then you get the diploma. Are there any other consequences (besides getting the diploma later)?

Hmm, I'm very late on replying to this one - but I heard that even if you make 7s on all your papers, ace all your classes, and generally do a good job on everything..BUT you don't finish your cas, it's like not doing your EE, you don't get the diploma. I never heard of getting an extra year. If only!

• 1 month later...

At my school, if you don't finish your hours of CAS (AND THIS NEEDS TO BE DONE THROUGOUT THE 20 MONTH PERIOD!!!!!!! if not, you could be kicked out :S)

Anyway, you need to finish your CAS hours to GRADUATE WITH YOUR DIPLOMA. Otherwise, you will fail the whole program. That's what we have been told repeatedly. Pretty much, it all comes down to this:

1- Your Extended Essay (4000 words)

2- CAS hours (3-4 hrs/week; put activities on "ManageBac") Over a 20 month period. They have not kicked anyone out yet, but the teachers need to sign a form, a contract even. So they are signing something--- it's important. If anyone from the "IB" headquarters decide to look at our Managebac, and we don't have anything in it, or we are barely making any progress, then of course we are in a sticky situation, no doubt.

3- TOK: Extended essay

Make sure you work hard on your internal evaluations.... They should be easy marks (sometimes hard to get, but still, WORK ON IT!!!)

I'm only 6 months into the diploma program... so I'm still a newbee, but I DO know what I'm talking about when it comes to certain information :P

Edited by egr12resa

This sounds pretty intense...

My CAS coordinator told us that they don't count hours anymore so we don't even count them. We just have to show all eight learning outcomes throughout the 2 years. He also said that the BARE MINIMUM is 3 major activities, one for each letter. Hopefully my school's IB students won't all fail? :blush:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I don't know if your CAS coordinates does it, but we have a deadline on when we have to hand in our CAS portofolio. I think you should organize your activities and see how many hours you still need to cover. I mean in action, just if you swim for two hours for five weeks every week then you have covered 1/5 of the action. Just be creative :) and probably tell you coordinates that he can help you finding something you would like to do. I mean that's what they are here for.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...