ToK Presentation: Past Experience and Tips

Peachez

^nope, 'specially if you live in the good 'ol US of A

Ours was related quality perception to setting, and it was presented Yahtzee style, speech complemented by a rapid fire slideshow of comically related pictures.

We got a good mark I think. Our teacher even mentioned how good it was on my report card.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is still a work in progress but the gist is as follows: Is AI(artificial intelligence) Possible? If so what are the social, ethical, and legal repercussions?

Obviously I think AI is possible otherwise I wouldn't get past the first part. I didn't plan to spend too much time on the whole possibility aspect so I could concentrate on the social/ethical/legal aspect. I was going to talk about; how would a first world society deal with artificial intelligence beings in their midst? how would discrimination towards AI's be similar to the discrimination of other human minorities? What position would AI's hold in a typical class based society(would they be given equal status to humans)? How much control could we justifiably exert over them?

These are only a few of the questions I intended to go for, any suggestions, comments?

I did it on food advice in media and talked generally about how those experiments are carried out and why they can't be trusted blindly. It was apparently good, 20/20 :blink:

My advice is to read about KIs (knowledge issues) really carefully. I've seen many posts here, where it is obvious that the poster has not understood what a KI really is and how to structure a presentation. ToK is not the same as philosophy, you cannot have a KI about anything.

• 1 month later...

I'm doing my presentation on 'Euthanasia for patients in Persistent Vegetative State and its link to religion, emotion, limitations and boundaries of science.'

so far this has been really interesting since i'm into the medical stuff. Furthermore there is a lot to write/talk about this so should be quite easy :P

I did mine on the connection between Maths and Arts - was kinda hard because I only had ten minutes, but I tried to explain everything very simple and included many knowledge issues and examples.

Expecting an 18-20 =)

Tip: try to think about limitations in your conclusion - it really makes things easier

Edited by lia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know that for our TOK presentation we can use thing like powerpoint, projectors and even videos. I was thinking of making a ten minute video, presenting all of my ideas, knowledge issues, etc. Thus, I do not have to actually speak during my presentation. Is that alright? I have no trouble speaking but I am a film-inclined person and I want to make this presentation as fun for me as possible. Also, does IB care about copyright issues? Say, for example, I rip clips from a movie (Inception) to use in my film. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

I am doing mine on the arts: "In what mesure can art be invalidated by emotion, reason and perception?" -- sorry, that's a bad translation from french :P Anywho, I'm presenting tomorrow... and this is my first year IB-- barely into it, actually. And they are making this count towards our final grade! We have barely talked about ANYTHING and I don't feel prepared :S

AND I FORGOT TO MENTION that we didn't get any pre-IB classes, nor that TOK-Philo classes :(

Edited by egr12resa

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am doing my presentation on the ethics on wealth, but I am having some difficulty narrowing it down into sub-topics.

I was wondering if anyone has done something on wealth and whether or not the wealthy have a responsibility to the poor?

thanks

I did the practice TOK Presentation, near the end of grade eleven, on Procrastination and to what extent is it a bad thing, you can guess how appreciative my teacher was when I proved that procrastination id beneficial :D

I did my final one Beauty and to what extent is our perception of it influenced by culture and trends, the teacher said he really liked it and it was really good. We incorporated Science and Religion in the presentation.

Tips for those who have yet to do it:

• think of a question before the day preceding the date of your presentation
  • have a clear cut conclusion that recognizes all points of view yet indicates which you prefer
  • have differing points of view and argue both with equal vehemence
  • if you're working in a group make sure all members know what they are doing before you enter the class room
  • ensure that you are capable of answering any question of you include class discussion in your presentation
  • do not make the presentation sound rehearsed , even if you rehearsed it, and just wing some bits. Make it sound as natural as possible.
  • do not choose an asinine topic that has been already dissected beyond recognition i class

Edited by Gail.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys think doing one on 9/11 is a good idea??

You can do it now since it's been +10 years since it has happened. BUT! I would still double check with your teacher. You need to be able to find points to talk about, right? So make sure you have them all down. There are also some conspiracy theories.

ACTUALLY! You can use 9/11 as your REAL LIFE situation. It's up to you to find your question :)

You guys think doing one on 9/11 is a good idea??

You can do it now since it's been +10 years since it has happened. BUT! I would still double check with your teacher. You need to be able to find points to talk about, right? So make sure you have them all down. There are also some conspiracy theories.

ACTUALLY! You can use 9/11 as your REAL LIFE situation. It's up to you to find your question :)

The 10 year rule only applies to subjects like history as they try to distinguish between historic events and current affairs. So yes you can do 9/11 but in my opinion, 9/11 is so over done, so clichéd and boring. Of course if you can make a good presentation out of it go ahead, but I would do something new and fresh.

tip: show personal input. that is, give as many personal examples as possible to support your argument.

I did my presentation on Artifical Intellegence and got 18/20 as the examiners felt my discussion was too philosophically academic and formal rather than..well, personal.

Did you have any personal input at all?

tip: show personal input. that is, give as many personal examples as possible to support your argument.

I did my presentation on Artifical Intellegence and got 18/20 as the examiners felt my discussion was too philosophically academic and formal rather than..well, personal.

I did have personal input, as I was presenting arguments of my own and not of anyone else. however, the examples I used to support those arguments (and counter-claims ; you need those, very IB ;P ) were not at all personal (that is, I did not say " *yadayada presenting argument*..I had in fact experienced this myself. for example, when I was walking my pet fish Lola......yadayada occured...yadayada"

Edited by pigsonthewing

I did have personal input, as I was presenting arguments of my own and not of anyone else. however, the examples I used to support those arguments (and counter-claims ; you need those, very IB ;P ) were not at all personal (that is, I did not say " *yadayada presenting argument*..I had in fact experienced this myself. for example, when I was walking my pet fish Lola......yadayada occured...yadayada"

I understand. What was your official title for your TOK presentation? If you worded it "Artificial Intelligence" then I understand whow it would have been difficult to find some personal connection to it to achieve maxium marks for that.

That's probably what got you a 4 instead of a 5 on that section of the grading.

Edited by egr12resa