ToK Presentation: Past Experience and Tips

Peachez

When you're choosing a topic for your actual TOK presentation, make sure it's something that interests you because a lot of the times, if you arent interested in what you have to research/talk about, you're going to end up dreading your presentation which could result in a mediocre grade. I just did mine 2 weeks ago on Blind Photography and the use of emotions/sense perception in the arts and my partner and I ended up getting a 19/20! Good luck to those of you who still have to present : )

• 7 months later...

okay my partner and I were thinking of doing the presentation on something like the diagnosis of schizoprenia.

The knowledge issue could have been: how can you diagnose something from someone's mind when it's impossible to really know

AOK: Human sciences

WOK: perception, reason

other views: religions believe its the cause of demons/spirits, but now people believe in scientific explanations

What do you guys think?

Sure! talking about the 9/11 and the cultural backgrounds of the terrorists would definitely work. I did mine with a group of Japanese, Philippines and Koreans so we talked about the different women rights in different societies and how it changed after time by talking about 2nd hand stories from our mothers.

• 1 month later...

Now that I´ve read all of those great tips :D, I want to add one of my own ^^

I and my group did horribly on my first presentation (12/20) :/ We focused on the wrong thing. Our theme was death penalty and how emotion, reason and perception affects in the decision of a punishment. Our KI was "What roles does emotion, reason and perception play in the decision of what a justifiable punishment is?", the KI was the only thing we got a high mark (5) on :C

We should have focused on the arguments for and against death penalty by evaluating them from an TOK perspective. But instead, we just floated away on what perception was etc... :C Also, we had too many issues/ views. Instead of going deep into a few, we lightly covered many. So, lay your focus in your presentation right!! How do you know the focus is right? Our teachers hardly gave any help. My advice would be to ask someone you know did a successful presentation, or ask here at IB survival :)

The file contains knowledge issues which received high marks. Our teachers gave it to us. :)

What is a good KNOWLEDGE ISSUE.docx

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I did my TOK presentation on whether torture could ever be morally justified. I chose Abu Ghraib prison as my real life example. I did quite well and i think that has a lot to do with the fact that i really enjoyed what i was doing. My tips, therefore for you, are:

1. pick something you are genuinely interested in.

2. make sure to constantly refer back to your KI and the AOKS and WOKS

3. be original and don't just cover what hundreds of other people before you have covered. For example,as well as looking at ethics i chose to examine how language plays a very important role in the torture debate

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, so I plan to talk about the effects of emotion on the justice system. I was going to talk about gun control, capital punishment, and hate crime. Is that too much? Should I just focus on one and go more in depth? Or is it helpful to have many examples of how emotion affects various aspects of the criminal justice system?

Thank you

• 1 year later...