Great Gatsby IOP helppp

Guest Taha Qarni

That's a descriptive title, but I'm a little confused. You're going to talk about the setting of the novel [New York, right?] symbol for America in the '20s? That makes sense to me, and it seems like you'd have a lot to talk about. Would you go and analyze the "where?" for everything? That is, not just what part of town Gatsby and Tom live in but also poor part? I can't seem to remember the characters' names, so forgive me if I'm not being very clear. Are you going to zoom into where exactly Gatsby died and see if there's any significance there? The subway/train, the docks, etc? And since setting isn't limited to the places, will you also look into the time [the '20s, of course, but also daytime/nighttime and flashbacks since the entire thing is a flashback, right?] and maybe political/social context? The last two might be less symbolism and more blatant "Hey! I'm F. Scott Fitzgerald and I'm going to tell you about this era!"

This might not be something you need to change in your title but more something you need to ask yourself. By "setting" what do you mean? Other than that, just make sure you're covering what you think Fitzgerald thought about the '20s in the US. The bad and the good, if there was any, in the author's opinion [tie it back to the author!]

I think it'd be a good title, but personally I'd change it to:

"The use of setting as a means to portray Fitzergerald's idea of America in the 1920s"

... as I don't think the setting is symbollic as such. Aspects of it might be considered sort-of symbols for things, but I think really you probably mean the general use of setting. :P Sounds like a good title, though and (for once in an IOP) like it might be mildly interesting to listen to! No mean feat considering the general lack of fascination with lit. features...

I think that you're on the right track! Think about what West and East Egg represent, and the Valley of Ashes too, and it might help you find out that have lots to talk about!

I also agree with what Sandwich has said in respect to your title. Setting, such as New York, is not quite symbolic, though the places I mentioned to have a more symbolic meaning...anyways, I would go with what was suggested:

"The use of setting as a means to portray Fitzergerald's idea of America in the 1920s"

Good luck!

rofl taha, booked, varun sent it to me, which means he's booked too

for gatsby, i might try to show how characteristics of speech reflect the individual's role in society and hence their status: characterization etc.

but yours is limited to setting? depriving yourself of large part of gatsby:|

Hi, I have an IOP next week and I'm planning to do my IOP on the great gatsby. I already planned to do "how Fitzgerald's life profoundly affects the main characters in the story, and how they form a juxtaposition" any advice or improvements needed ?

This seems like a meaty topic. Make sure you cover your points in depth. This might mean that you need to focus on 2-3 characters and a proportionate number of things from the author's life. It seems like connecting whatever you're saying back to the author might be the hardest so make sure you explain the link wholly. Since I don't know more about yours, I think that's all I can say. Good luck.

Edited by Mahuta ♥
Added to be replied to post after merging- Maha :)

So I was planning on doing my IOP based on the topic of "Superficial love vs Actual love" on the Great Gatsby, is this a good idea? Any suggestions/comments for improvements? Thanks

What about these two types of love? What bigger picture are you connecting them to? the context of the time?

It sounds like a fine topic. Just try to be as original in your analysis & to link your ideas to evidence from the text. G'luck.

Edited by Mahuta ♥
Same reason as above