Econ IA...fun stuff...

Guest |-|4><0|2

start by defining 1 main terms that you will be using, use this to lead into other terms and definitions

after that, explain a main theory that is used in the article.

give an real life example that not from your article example. (all this should be around 200 words)

then, start a new paragraph and lead into the article, (don't mention the article in order to prevent summarizing)

use your theory to explain why this is happening. (100-200 words)

then, identify possible ways to solve this problem and the pros and cons of each method (200 words)

finally, conclude by stating your own opinion (50-100 words)

oh and in between them, insert diagrams wherever u feel necessary and explain the diagrams (around 50 words)

p.s. that's how i did mine, ask me if you don't get what i wrote

anyways, i need to go finish mine ^^

Edited by Juyken

Hey, thought I would toss in my two cents. Having seen a few commentaries with examiner's notes, I think that the two most important things in the commentary are the defining of the terms and the ability to do more then simply notice that economics are a component of the article; you have to be able to extrapolate using the data. The majority of the examiner's marks on commentaries I have seen were that the commentaries were "superficial in their analysis". For example, in your article, there is obvious evidence of tight money policy with the reduction of loans, thus decreasing the money supply. However, there is simultaneous easy money policy being implemented in the form of interest rate cuts. The bank is effectively attempting to target only the housing market with tight money policy while effectively stimulating the economy with easy money policy; you could take about the possible reprecussions of this attempt on the economy. You may also want to consider foreign investment, since it is based on the exchange rate, which is based on interest rates, which are mentioned in the article. In short, try to look past the "obvious economics". because its expected that you can recognize economic theory. It's your ability to use the theory that really counts.

Hope it helps.

Edited by snowday

oh and in between them, insert diagrams wherever u feel necessary and explain the diagrams (around 50 words)

You really should not lack in diagrams. When a concept you're explaining can be represented by a diagram, put it in, even if it's really simple. I read a commentary before that lost marks because he didn't have the supply demand and equilibrium drawn in, so they really really REALLY like diagrams.

Guest Crammarc
You really should not lack in diagrams. When a concept you're explaining can be represented by a diagram, put it in, even if it's really simple. I read a commentary before that lost marks because he didn't have the supply demand and equilibrium drawn in, so they really really REALLY like diagrams.

FFLcon is right, economic markers LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEEE Diagrams. If you can make a diagram, do it. There is no such thing as a useless diagram. It can always show something you can analyze

FFLcon is right, economic markers LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEEE Diagrams. If you can make a diagram, do it. There is no such thing as a useless diagram. It can always show something you can analyze

Just thought I would mention that there are in fact such things as useless diagram. I once saw a marked econ commentary in which the student had drawn two diagrams to demonstrate a shift in the supply curve, and written beside it by the examiner was the word "unnecessary". Even though 2 diagrams is more than 1, it would be much more convenient to draw 1 diagram to show a shift of the supply curve. Something to consider I guess, I just don't think that more diagrams necessarily means better mark.

Hope it helps

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hey ppl,

yes it is true that putting diagrams is a FACTOR but it is not THE FACTOR!!! they like it when students try to connect the situation with the diagram and they also like it more when u explain the CONCEPTS behind the scenarios......and ofcourse.....econ is nothing without diagrams but pls dont fill ur paper with graphs and a bit of explanations for each

thnx

IBO checks the article used, right? You're not supposed to include it in your IA, or?

You have to submit the articles that you've used as part of your IA, (and highlight the important points in the article)

They don't have time to search up everyone's articles!

Personally I think for each commentary 3 diagrams is enough.

Any number of diagrams is fine, as long as they are all relevant and helps to prove your point.

and I believe words in the diagrams count as part of the word limit (correct me if I'm wrong :crying: )

alright well im just startin my IA for econ and i was wondering if u could help give me som main pointers i may have to put in. any help would be dearly appreciated thanks.

this is my article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7169157.stm

That is not an article I personally would recommend...

Too much business economics for my taste. (i.e. VERY-short-run-ish)

Have you shown it to your teacher yet? Have you talked about inflation and other macroeconomic concepts in class?

Is it micro you are aiming for?

Edited by ozZiiiii

I got a 19/20 on my last IA and I inserted only one graph. They said that the graph was informative enough that I did not need another one to prove my point. Hope i helped :rolleyes:

How can you get a score for a single IA? It's graded as a portfolio, not per commentary

• 1 month later...