World lit 1

Im thinking of doing this as a topic. I would just like some help figuring out if it is a decent topic that will earn me a top grade.

Comparison of Women's Role as defined by the societies in Like Water for Chocolate and Effi Briest, and consquences resulting in variation from defined roles.

Thanks for all your help,

Janki

I have only read Like Water for Chocolate out of those, but a couple of thingsthat popped into my head were;

Are you going to be talking about just Tita in LWFC (and presumably the protagonist in Effi Briest) and their roles, or using the role of the other women in the book (Rosaura comes to mind) and contrast this to the variation of the main characters? You might want to be a bit more clear in your question. The only woman who really follows societies expectation in LWFC out of the main characters is Rosaura, but maybe you could talk about how the other three (Mama Elena, Tita and Gertrudis) all at some stage go against societal expectations and end up finding love whereas Rosaura, who doesn't do this, ends up loveless.

My comment overlaps with laryxle's.

I would probably pick one character from each novel. Mama Elena and Effi seem really compatible.

Honestly though, when I read your topic, I thought you were going to compare the role of women in society in each of the books. The German woman in the 19th [was it the 19th century?] and the Mexican woman in the 20th [i don't know if this was the 20th century either haha]. This sounds really, really interesting to me. If you were to do a character comparison, you could still get a good grade, but it would be less original [because it's about the woman's role in society and I'm not sure about Effi Briest, but LWfC is a staple for that] and therefore slightly harder. Does that help? whatever your topic is, make sure you're not struggling to back it up with examples from both texts. I've often heard my teachers say you can argue whatever you want as long as you can support it with the text.