TOK Presentation Criteria Clarification

CommeDesEnfants

I had a couple questions about the TOK Presentation criteria, which I find to be rather vague and unhelpful.

1. For Criterion C (Knower's perspective), can the qualities described be implied throughout? What dictates a "distinctively personal use of arguments and examples or otherwise?"

2. For Criterion D (Connections), what does "considering their implications in related areas" mean? Do I have to talk about what I've discussed through my oral and how it might apply to other related real-life situations?

1. I think that the qualities do appear apparent throughout in well-thought out presentations, but what I did is talk about my learning process in IB and TOK and how that related to the topic. For arguments and examples, talk about things that you have experienced and things that hopefully connect with IB; I go to school in the city, so I used an example that drew on my experiences of going to school in the city, and integrated that into my speech.

2. Talk about the things you propose in your speech and what they could mean for other areas. So, when I proposed a system of ethics based on reason, I used an example to highlight it, and I talked about ethics in Psychology (human sciences). Of course, since I study Psychology I could also use the example as showing a knower's perspective. So basically talk about the implications of what you suggest in other AoK's or just in other parts of life.

I hope that helps.

1. I think that the qualities do appear apparent throughout in well-thought out presentations, but what I did is talk about my learning process in IB and TOK and how that related to the topic. For arguments and examples, talk about things that you have experienced and things that hopefully connect with IB; I go to school in the city, so I used an example that drew on my experiences of going to school in the city, and integrated that into my speech.

Hm... Since my partner's Korean and I'm Chinese, if we used Korean and Chinese sources (and explained them with English, of course), would that constitute "personal sources?"

2. Talk about the things you propose in your speech and what they could mean for other areas. So, when I proposed a system of ethics based on reason, I used an example to highlight it, and I talked about ethics in Psychology (human sciences). Of course, since I study Psychology I could also use the example as showing a knower's perspective. So basically talk about the implications of what you suggest in other AoK's or just in other parts of life.

If I mentioned counterarguments for most of the things I say throughout, would that count as "implications?"

If you make the cultural link apparent, then I would say so. Just make sure it fits with your presentation, not something which was obviously just stuck in to meet the marking criteria.

Yes, counterarguments are good. Look at the benefits of your points as well though, to give a reasoned argument on the conclusions you make. I think that examples are the best way to highlight implications as they can also show personal thought and involvement in the topic.