Reading books to prepare for IB..

Dr. Polaris

AS of right now, I'm still in a dilemma as to which to pick in University, which is quite far away (2.5 years later). However, I want to start preparing as of now.

I am taking Chemistry and Biology HL next year, when IB officially starts and we move from Pre-IB. I was thinking of reading a lot of biology + chemistry related stuff on Wiki, Google, etc. However, I'm not sure what to search for. I have this friend of mine who's really good at biology and chemistry, and he tells me to read more books, but he didn't elaborate on what books to read, so I really don't know how I can prepare myself for next year and university.

Does anyone here know what I should look for on the net/in the libraries?

Thank you

As of right now, you don't need to be doing anything, you've still got so much time. If you would like some books to read to get interested in the topic, here is a link to a list of stuff to get started:

http://ukmedicalstudent.webs.com/recommendedbooks.htm

Also, if you start volunteering at charity shops or maybe start some shadowing, then you'd be doing great :sadnod:

Good Luck

Firstly, I think it's still way too early to think about this, you have like half a year or more. You seriously do not need to start worrying about IB from now because you will have enough of it in the two years! People did excellent without doing what you're trying to do right now.

Secondly, I personally don't see the point of reading a lot of biology and chemistry stuff on wiki and other, it's completely useless.

The IB syllabus is very precise and you would never ever need wikipedia or anything of that sort, trust me. People got 7s and 6s in Biology and Chemistry HL

just by following the syllabus bit by bit. Furthermore, you would barely need the IB COURSE TEXT BOOKS, only if there's something difficult and you need to

read about it. I don't remeber myself relying on any Biology textbook in IB even though I had them with me the whole time. I just followed the syllabus and

used the studyguide and my own notes, and I think that many previous IB Students did just that. Reading books will be a waste of time, not to say they're not

useful, but they could confuse you sometimes by getting you into things you don't really need to go deep into. Many people waisted so much time by trying to

find something so small they didn't understand in text books.

P.S If I was you I wouldn't trust the wikipedia website for my IB Course, seriously.

You will be fine! :sadnod:

EDIT: Why did you put "Dentistry vs. Medicine' as your title?

If you forgot to add something in your post then tell me to put back the old title. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hm. Maybe read about the topics that IB Chemistry and Biology cover... If you've done some reading on those already, it might help you better understand them when they are taught in class...

So what topics do IB chemistry and biology cover? -- check out the IB syllabus documents :)

• 2 months later...

Find the syllabus and borrow it from the school librarby over the summer (schools let you do that)or from a past student. The syllabus is the best thing to read b/c it is what you are going to be taught. I am in the same situation, and I just read books about biology (the body systems).

are you intereseted in reading about topics that are actually included in the IB Bio and Chem syllabus? or are you searching for a more general kind of reading?

if you were more specific, i think we can help you more.

either case, if you want the next two years to be easy for you, then try to familiarize yourself with the topics, try to read them, get to know a little about them.

also, try to read past IAs. Ask for them from your IB coordinator, or even over the internet. it'll help you along the way.