IB Bio Design Lab ideas photosynthesis

JillianR

"In this lab, you will devise a controlled experiment that will test the effects of a certain variable on the rate of photosynthesis." As the instructions for my lab read.

please help with a suitable topic and a way I could carry it out! I need to include a design and data collection

You're graded on how feasible your design is and if you've shown you've put thought into it. This is something you must do individually. Look at the factors that affect the rate of photosynthesis. After you do a little bit of research, you should have plenty of ideas. If you want to run a few of them here, we can comment on them. We can't really give you your experiment though.

I'd suggest reading a bit about photosynthesis in your textbook and look into the factors that affect its rate ^^

You don't need anything complex. Keep KISS in mind--Keep It Simple, Stupid. :)

I agree and in fact, I suggest you look at any biology text book, they usually put suggested experiments. Even if there isn't, you can carry an experiment on any factor that affects photosynthesis, it's one of the easiest things you can score high on along with enzyme activity.

Come up with the main idea then we can help you. :D

• 1 month later...

Hey,

I've carried a photosynthesis lab in which i changed the light intensity on the rate of photosynthesis by using Elodea as my pond weed. I did this by measuring the volume of CO2 released.

I can't give you my experiment, but i can help you if you come up with your own aim and what you roughly want to do.

I got full marks on my whole lab - for all 3 sections (design, data collection&processing, conclusion&evaluation)

If you need any help, then let me know :S

• 8 months later...

[quote name='MissP' timestamp='1263625425' post='61556']
Hey,
I've carried a photosynthesis lab in which i changed the light intensity on the rate of photosynthesis by using Elodea as my pond weed. I did this by measuring the volume of CO2 released.

I can't give you my experiment, but i can help you if you come up with your own aim and what you roughly want to do.
I got full marks on my whole lab - for all 3 sections (design, data collection&processing, conclusion&evaluation)

If you need any help, then let me know :blink:
[/quote]

I am actually doing the same experiment currently, i am actually stuck at it confused whether to look at the volume of CO2 released or the amount of Oxygen. i have my aim. but i aint sure if it's right. I will surely like some help if [b]you[/b] can provide any :)
thanks

Edited by Aboo
No chat speak!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='iber2011' timestamp='1288279589' post='85574']
one question what is a good range of words to write in the conclusion and evaluation??
[/quote]

It's not really about the word count as much as it is about the content. If you've done a thorough job of both, you're fine. How much there is to say really depends on the experiment, I wouldn't use length as a determining factor.

[quote name='iber2011' timestamp='1288279589' post='85574']
one question what is a good range of words to write in the conclusion and evaluation??
[/quote]
For biology you could really write forever...but like Sandwich said you just need a concise and clear conclusion and you can have a rather short one. My philosophy that I gave the IB1 people just starting in our school who are in HL bio is that if you think you have wrote everything you can think, write something else that is related but off the wall because chances are you'll get something for it :)