Time Management

DarkNiteRayne

All right, so I've got a question. I'm a full IB Diploma Candidate, and I'm decently smart (of course, taking IB makes me feel rather mentally challenged at times). However, I've got a really hard time managing my time. I get home after doing extracurricular things for an hour or so, and then end up messing around online for god knows how many hours, before finally starting homework. Of course, this leads to a lot of rather late nights with very little sleep.

People who have graduated before I have always say how great IB is because they learn to manage their time. All it's taught me so far is that I can do all the work...if I don't sleep at all. It's really beginning to become a problem as my classes get more challenging, and I'm wondering if anyone has any good tips for this champion procrastinator.

I'm at the end of IB1 and to be honest, I'm having a similar problem too.

Some of the tips I've come across include:

Making a study schedule (personally that didn't work too well for me, but I do find a To-Do list quite helpful. It feels really satisfying as you tick the tasks after completing them)

Minimize distractions (I stopped going on msn about half way through IB1. It was just too much)

During the week before my last exam, I told me cousin to change my facebook password because I literally spent 2- 4 hours on it every single day. Although I click the "forget your password" button eventually, I managed to do a lot more revision than I thought I would.

Good luck.

I also think that it is good to have a break inbetween school, exracurricular's and then homework. So when you get home relax for an hour or two, eat dinner and then do some homework. I usually get home around 5, relax from 5 to 6, have dinner at 6, and then do work from 7 to 10, and I haven't been behind on anything all year, so it's quite effective.

Tangents - how does a filter like that work and where can you get it?

DarkNiteRayne - I have found that these two articles (same writer) has helped me A LOT! Some of the advice isn't really adaptable to IB, but the general theme is really great.

http://www.stevepavlina.com/articles/do-it-now.htm

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/05/10-tips-for-college-students/

This is not completely the same thing but I use LeechBlock for Firefox, you can block different sites at different times which is quite useful if you need internet for for example finding information and know which sites take most of your time;

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4476

• Like 1

Sparkling

The filter works by intercepting the packets (at least I think), so it can see what is going through and block what needs to be blocked. Most filters work like that, or they have a physical router that does is. Google "k9 blue" and you will find what i used (i can't advertise here :P). It is free for non-Business oriented environment (like family, personal, ect.). It worked really well for me.

• 2 weeks later...
Sparkling

The filter works by intercepting the packets (at least I think), so it can see what is going through and block what needs to be blocked. Most filters work like that, or they have a physical router that does is. Google "k9 blue" and you will find what i used (i can't advertise here :blink:). It is free for non-Business oriented environment (like family, personal, ect.). It worked really well for me.

Also, if you have Window Vista, you can get on the Admin account and monitor what times your sub-accounts can be on.

You know everything about "getting rid of the internet".."making time scheduel" will NOT work, I finished IB last summer and I am in med school yet I still seem to have that problem sometimes.

It's all in your mind! Sit with yourself then just think:

"I have so much to do, I have to finish eaarly so I wouildnt be sitting in class yawning"

"If I dont get this donee..what will happen? grades go down..wont be fully prepared for IB..would probably fail IB! All ym efforts are gone waisted..".."I wouldnt reach my goal and would end up doing something crappy"

or if you're not feeling like studying:"This is IB, I am doing it because I am capable..hell I just need to study hard to get what I want!"

Just mentally talk to yourself, I do that..and I swear to god sometimes it gets me jumping off the couch or wherever im procrastinating and immedialty to my desk.

• Like 1

Also, if you have Window Vista, you can get on the Admin account and monitor what times your sub-accounts can be on.

Typically microsoft.

Making another account for studying overall should be a good thing though. That way it would be easier to organize the school work and such, and not be distracted by all distracting things.. It was just a thought, but maybe I could try that just to see if it works.

My greatest problem is finding the motivation to work. Recently though, I've tried to think about it more as "This isn't something I HAVE to do, it is something I WANT to do". Kinda like Mahuta said. It helps me a lot to get things started faster that way, even with the things that are really hard and boring. I don't want to do them because it's fun, I want to do them to learn/get better grades and go to the university I want and get the education I want so that I can work with what I want and so on.

Timetable your time heavily and set alarms. Get yourself into a routine of working to a schedule and make yourself guilty if you take too long of a break.

Don't try and be over-ambitious with your timetable, and certainly do not procrastinate. Some people went down the deleting facebook (temporarily) route, but I think taking the internet cable out whilst you study is worth it.

• 1 month later...

I don't let myself do anything fun until I get done with all my homework, which I always start as soon as I get home :D

It's the only method that works, because then I waste my time in the evening and so I'm not really that stressed out in the morning when I have to go to school again. It does take time for it to become a habit though.

• 1 month later...

In the first year of IB I did exactly the same, but in the second year I decided to change things.

These are my rules:

1. Sleep is more valuable than assignments that do not count to your final score.

2. Sleep is more valuable than going to school (sometimes I would skip school to finalise some IAs or prepare for orals).

3. Sleep is more valuable than your hobbies and your social life (you will have time for that after IB ;-) )

4. Sleep is less valuable than those extra % you can get by doing your stuff really well.

This is what allows me to sleep these 8-9 hours I need.

But what really helped me to stop procrastination was looking at uni requirements. That really motivated me to work hard for those points. Motivation is the key, I think. And it must be motivation from 'within', not that you are doing it for your parents but for yourself.

Cheers,

Konrad