Sign in to follow this  

dystopian novels for Yr 11 English Language A?

I'm starting IB next year - had a brief look at the book list, found that in English next year, we are going to study Nineteen Eighty-four, Brave New World and We, which, after a bit of Wikipedia, are found to be the most famous dystopian novels of 20th century.

Any comments?

I found this quite weird and was just wondering if anyone else is doing or has done novels in this fashion? i.e. all in one genre? You can drop down some titles that you are doing at your school for English as Language A - for interest only

Edited by Eydie

We didn't do all one genre, but I imagine this would be awesome for comparative essays :P

Are you doing these for the internal oral class presentation?

• Like 1

We were going to do Brave New World, but the teacher decided to teach A Handmaid's Tale, which is another dystopian. And we did 1984. Like Sandwich pointed out, it'll be good for comparison purposes, possibly your World Lit paper, even though they are written in English. Anyways, you don't have anything to worry about this year. This thread is about what works people are studying: http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/7641-survey-of-language-a1-works/

Edited by sweetnsimple786
  • Like 1

We didn't do all one genre, but I imagine this would be awesome for comparative essays :D

Are you doing these for the internal oral class presentation?

hahah i'm starting next February so i don't know much about the assessment yet.

helpful any way + we've just survived a 40 degree heat wave in Adelaide...

We were going to do Brave New World, but the teacher decided to teach A Handmaid's Tale, which is another dystopian. And we did 1984. Like Sandwich pointed out, it'll be good for comparison purposes, possibly your World Lit paper, even though they are written in English. Anyways, you don't have anything to worry about this year. This thread is about what works people are studying: http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/7641-survey-of-language-a1-works/

Glad to hear someone actually did a book from my list.

Thanks for the thread!

1984 and Brave New World are both GREAT books (and in my favourites list as well), but they are way overdone, ESPECIALLY the comparison against each other. I haven't read We but I have heard it's very good; been wanting to read it for a while, couldn't find it anywhere though.

Other dystopian novels:

• Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury (I have read this book and it is very good)
  • This Perfect Day - Ira Levin
  • Player Piano - Kurt Vonnegut

The Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld is sometimes considered to by dystopian as well (but it's more modern and teenage-fiction-ey). Also, V for Vendetta (both the film and comic) is dystopian.

Dystopian novels are my favouritest of all :D

• Like 1

I think that it is normal to have books all in one genre, usually for each part of the english course the novels are linked in some way, like four our part 4 texts they were all from the genre detective fiction.