Applying to universities in Sweden

Bishup

Hi, I want to apply for medicine in Sweden and I am very interested as to know how exactly. I want to apply to Uppsala, Lund and Karolinska Institutet (First choice). I have checked the KI website and studera.nu but I can't seem to find the ib requirements for the course. Can some Swedish person please help me. I'd be truly grateful. BTW I'm Swedish so I have no problems speaking Swedish.

It doesn't matter which school in Sweden you apply to, cause they ALL will require a Swedish grade of 20,00 which is equivalent to 40 (or more) IB points. So if you have 39, you will kinda much be rejected since in Sweden, they ONLY look at your grade, and not any kinds of personal essays etc...

So it is very hard to get into a medical school in Sweden compared to other countries indeed. The only good reason to attend in Sweden, is due to their policy to have a free education, which means that you dont have to pay anything as a tuition fee!

You will also be required to have studied Biology, Chemistry AND Physics. (Atleast at standard level)

You will need to have studied all those three subjects in one way or another, you don't have to do it on the IB. If there is any subject that have not studied at 'gymnasiet' or whatever pre-uni programme you attend to, you could always study this at Komvux first or something similar.

Im doing IB in Sweden, yes. However, I have no intentions about attending medical schools whatsoever. I know about this though, because it is a quite big issue in Sweden among the Swedish (or international for that matter) students who are considering the medical schools here.

Sweden is the ONLY country in the whole world that requires all three science subjects for medical school. However, Sweden also is one of the few countries in the world where the education is for free. <_<

Well, there is a quite big medical school in Sweden called Karolinska institutet (all medical schools have the same requirements) and on their website you can see their course requirements.

http://ki.se/utbildningsprogram?progCode=2LK07

I guess you have to use google-translate <_<

So, at "Special jurisdiction" you will see that Ma D, Oh (Oh = physics, blame google translate :)) B, Ke B och Bi B.

So what this means, is that they require you to have studied mathematics D (Math Methods SL), Physics B (Physics SL), Chemistry B (Chemistry SL) and Biology B (Biology SL)

I was told about all this in both School and through classmates. As ive said, it is a quite big issue.

Since im a PreIB Student for the moment, I still have 2,5 years left. Yet i know already that Medical school is personally nothing for me. Im more intrested on economics and such. So im considering going to the Uk when its time for applying. :D

Edited by Logitech

I should have researched this before. I have done Svenska [litteratur] B (distanskurs) and it's useful if I want to study undergraduate in Sweden. Do you think Fysik B is hard? I'm not really tempted to study that outside scool and also is it sufficient to have 'Godkänt'. Actually they only require 'Godkänt'.

Edited by Bishup

According to a friend who's going to apply for läkarprogrammet at Karolinska you need

20.0 in grades (which means all MVG) + Math D, Bio B, Chy B, Phy B

or

1.9-2.0 högskoleprovet + Math D, Bio B, Che B, Phy B (Only G needed)

or

1.5-1.8 högskoleprovet + above requirements + interview

I don't know how to use the IB grades in this context though.

Fysik b is considered quite hard among the swedish students, but it sure is possible to do it. But since you need MVG in all your subjects, it means that you need MVG in fysik b as well. And getting an MVG in Fysik B as self taught and such is pretty hard.

You need godkänt in all the subjects indeed. But thats just to be able to actually apply for the school. In reality, you need MVG in all subjects. (40+ ib points)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, if 20,00 Swedish grades is equivalent to 40 in IB for Med school.. What would it be approximately for Business, Econ, Management? Does anyone know?

Yeah, just building on this, does anyone know anything about the Stockholm School of Economics?

Same here. At least 40 IB points is what they require from IB Students. (20.00 from Swedish students) This is only what Stockholm school of Economics require though.

There are alot of other economics schools in Sweden where you could basically come in with 27+ ib points. But to be realistic, they suck. Actually, Stockholm School of Economics is the only Swedish university that is actually famous internationally.

Edited by Logitech

• 1 month later...

About this that 40 IB-points is equivalent to 20,0 (which is insane rally, cause IB is a lot harder than the swedish courses), I've heard that whoever is making this scale for translating IB-grades into swedish grades is currently forming a new scale, that will be more appropriate.

This meaning that 20,0 will not be representing such an extreme IB grade, but something that corresponds better to the actual level of knowledge required to get 20,0 in the swedish system.

• 2 weeks later...

About this that 40 IB-points is equivalent to 20,0 (which is insane rally, cause IB is a lot harder than the swedish courses), I've heard that whoever is making this scale for translating IB-grades into swedish grades is currently forming a new scale, that will be more appropriate.

This meaning that 20,0 will not be representing such an extreme IB grade, but something that corresponds better to the actual level of knowledge required to get 20,0 in the swedish system.

Do you know anything else about that? I know they changed the rules for "meritpoäng" to our favour after all the protests but I wasn't aware anyone was looking into the grade scale.

There are alot of other economics schools in Sweden where you could basically come in with 27+ ib points. But to be realistic, they suck. Actually, Stockholm School of Economics is the only Swedish university that is actually famous internationally.

Such as?

Does anyone know about this? Seems nice!