Law in the UK

rhea45

I'm interested in studying undergrad law in the UK, and was wondering whether taking HL Business was a mistake since apparently UK unis 'frown' upon it. If Im getting 38+ and am doing well in my subjects, im hoping its not too big of an issue? Also, any recommendations of some 'safe' UK unis where entrance requirements are low for law?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I'm interested in studying undergrad law in the UK, and was wondering whether taking HL Business was a mistake since apparently UK unis 'frown' upon it. If Im getting 38+ and am doing well in my subjects, im hoping its not too big of an issue? Also, any recommendations of some 'safe' UK unis where entrance requirements are low for law?

Thanks

No, Business will not be an issue as long as it's not taken in conjunction with another soft subject like Visual Arts or Maths Studies.

Safe UK Unis are those which are lower ranked or don't need as many IB points for admission. Use the Times guide to find lower ranked unis and then choose appropriately. There aren't a lot of Law students on this board.

Sorry I can't help but I'm also interested in doing law in the UK (maybe).

Do you also need to take the LNAT to get into law in the UK?

Yes, most universities will require the LNAT. Some won't, and as far as I know, Cambridge chooses to administer their own version of the LNAT. At any rate, a good LNAT score boosts your chances of getting admitted.

No, Business will not be an issue as long as it's not taken in conjunction with another soft subject like Visual Arts or Maths Studies.

hahaha funny that's what i was told by my careers teacher too....but it's not really true, i do business at HL and math studies and i did just fine with my apps. They don't look so much at your SL subjects but your HL are the more important

some unis do need LNAT but others don't, warwick, kent, aberdeen and lots of others don't require it. Aboo is right Cambridge came up with their own entry test but oxford still use the LNAT

Edited by Sandwich
Chatspeak.

hahaha funny that's what i was told by my careers teacher too....but it's not really true, i do business at HL and math studies and i did just fine with my apps. They don't look so much at your SL subjects but your HL are the more important

some unis do need LNAT but others don't, warwick, kent, aberdeen and lots of others don't require it. Aboo is right Cambridge came up with their own entry test but oxford still use the LNAT

sorry to pop in again... You said that they look at your HL subjects more, do you think I'd be better off doing modern history at HL or one of physics or chemistry at HL? - assume that i enjoy both subjects equally?

Would HL history be more useful if i want to do law?

Eydie, taking History is an excellent subject for law. History will provide you analytical skills that will be of great use in law. Plus in History you develop good writing skills, a necessary requirement for making a case in law. My sister took the humanities route her high school, which is a mix of literature, history, economics, and other social sciences (in Bahrain, you choose a route (science, humanities, technical, commerce) in public schools) and she says it helped her a lot in college. But she says law, in general, requires a lot of memorization! She's given these huge books in each course and she's expected to know it inside out. So basically, just like History, law is "read and regurgitate" IMO.

Edited by Dreamer94
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking into studying law in the UK and whilst I don't know whether B&M would be a problem (I would think not), I can tell you that nowadays very few places ask for the LNAT. I've applied to Exeter (req 35), LSE (req 38), Plymouth (req 32), Westminster (req 32) and West of England Bristol, and so far have an offer from the latter.

• 2 months later...