Latin SL IA?

embyr

Hello everyone,

Ok, so I'm the only Latin IV in my school (the joke is the class is compiled of the Latin III's and Elizabeth) and my Latin teacher is still getting the hang of being an IB teacher. I'm the first IB Latin IV she's ever had so we're both kinda stumbling along, (she became an IB teacher officially my freshman year I think... and I've had her all 4 years)

My main problem is with the IA. (she knows her stuff translation wise so I'm not too worried about that) Does anyone have any idea what the research dossier should look like format wise when completed? The 800 word max limit is also giving me some trouble... Are SL IA's generally limited to 800 words?

If I haven't been clear enough for you to answer my question, just tell me where I need to elaborate more. *nod*

• 2 months later...

In the word count the only words that count are your analysis. The latin and the translations do not count. The setup is the first page is title page with the normal stuffs on it, titale, candidate number, blah blah blah. After that there's an intro. Then after that. As far as I know. At the top of the page goes the title for the latin that you get from Oxford Classical Dictionary. Like Virgil, then poem, then line numbers. Under that goes the latin. You footnote the latin and put in the translation. Then you put your analysis of the the latin in relation to your topic under that. I'm pretty sure that's it... Pretty sure...

• 2 years later...

Yippee, another Latin student! I'm doing the research dossier too.

All SL IAs are 800 words limit for the research dossier, not including the actual Latin sources themselves (if you're using text). I believe that it is meant to be around 7-12 sources that you have to analyse, though not all are text. Then you also need introduction and conclusion. There are IA samples online, I found them using google, and also some guiding documents.

In terms of topic, it has to be something, anything, about 'culture'. Although this implies something about the Ancient Roman world, it can also encompass the use/role of Latin in other contexts, such as the staging of a Latin play (in the syllabus, I think). There was also an interesting one I saw about the link between samurai and a certain Roman soldier.

To be honest, I haven't really started on my IA either. Good luck!