Bio Lab topic?

KiwiBee

For Grade 11 IB Bio...first internal assessment is a lab on osmosis using the egg with it's shell removed from vinegar. What are some interesting questions that I could use to design my lab around? Anything I think of seems really boring or typical, and rather easy. Any ideas? :P

Edited by KiwiBee

Wait, let me get this straight, are you basically saying it's an Eggless shell submerged Vinegar? I'll help you if you can clarify this for me.

Well, to represent a cell, you can submerge an egg in vinegar for two days. This gets rid of the shell, but leaves the membrane on the egg. You then take it out of the vinegar to do whatever experiment on it.

So you guys are having to design the lab before having done the experiment because at some point you'll be doing an experiment involving the membrane of the egg. It makes sense but is this what's going on?

Yes, the general point of this lab is to study osmosis, but we have to narrow this down to a specific question such as, how do concentration levels affect osmosis? To represent a cell, an older IB student gave me the egg idea. So I will be using the egg and its membrane to do an experiment that studies osmosis, but a question like the one above is obvious and boring, but I can't really think of much else. This is where I need help :P

Well as you know Osmosis is the transportation of water across a semi-permeable membrane such as the Egg membrane. You could say how does different concentrations of glucose affect the change in mass of the egg due to osmosis or diffusion. I did a similar experiment using sucrose solution and potatoe cylinders.

• Like 1

Well as you know Osmosis is the transportation of water across a semi-permeable membrane such as the Egg membrane. You could say how does different concentrations of glucose affect the change in mass of the egg due to osmosis or diffusion. I did a similar experiment using sucrose solution and potatoe cylinders.

Hm...actually...that might be quite good :P And not too overwhelming either...thank you! :)