IB Math SL to Math MS...? would it be a good move?

PeachesOMG93

Hey! I am currently in Grade XI, having started by IB program in July this year. I have taken IB Math SL but I am finding it extremely tough. =(

I just got the first term examination results and I didn't do well in maths either. I really think I should shift to Math Studies as it is a lot easier than SL. Some concepts in MS have also been studied by me earlier so I am familiar with them.

My school mentor told me than shifitng to MS would hinder my admission process for the universities in the future as universities require a minimum of Math SL. =(

I plan to either do journalism or major in Business.

What should I do?

Edited by Mitali

You need to check with the Universities. Do they NEED IB Math SL from you, or is it BETTER to have it.. as in, whether they will give you credit for it and you will be able to skip a course in University. If that is the case, i would rather tale Math Studies, you will have a higher score for sure then.

Although, math SL is extremely useful in Business and you will still leard the same stuff in college.

It all goes down to specific universities and personal preferences.

Just to supplement what everyone's already said, your first semester exam grades are always going to be bad. It's because you haven't gotten used to the style of IB questions yet. All you need for IB maths is practice practice practice.

As an example, I got a 4 for my first term of Maths HL, and a 2 for my mock. I still ended up getting a 5 in the actual exam (that too with the new style paper). And lastly, you're in your first year of IB, your career choices are going to change no matter what you think. Don't limit yourself by taking Maths Studies.

Although Math Studies is what people would generally label as an "easy" course, it's not suitable for everyone. To me, Math Studies would be harder than Math SL because Studies is all problem solving and focuses on topics like Probability, Statistics, and Financial Math which I find particularly difficult.

Also, the Math Studies course guide even says that the subject is designed for those who want math studies as the last math course they take in their life. Unless you're going into an arts-related field (like literature, law, or certain types of humanities), you will face Math at some point in your college education. It's better to to SL now and suffer through the two years than get a 6 or 7 in Math Studies and suffer in college later (where you will be much more overloaded with subjects, if I may add).