World Lit. Word Count

hilaryvb

Hello everyone,

So here's the situation: My World Lit. is like around 1900 words, since when I was doing the first draft someone told me that the quotation is not included in the word count. Here's the question: does it really counted or not? I am so confused, and before reducing and cutting down my essay, I need more clarification. thanks :D

and any of you reading this, please reply, since it is due tommorow :)

Quotations are included. footnotes aren't, in case you're going to put in text citations in the footnotes.

Oh, we can do that?

We were advised against it as your ability to integrate quotations into the essay earns you marks. It's not really a coherent essay with the quotations in the footnotes and it affects the quality of your writing. Footnotes are meant to be optional material (i.e. the examiner could read your essay without them - which they couldn't if your quotes were in footnotes, assuming you were going to use quotes to back things up). Most quotes can actually be snipped right down anyway even if it's just to a few words in the end.

I'm not an examiner to know to what extent it is or isn't shooting yourself in the foot, but logically I can see how it would be. So my advice would be to integrate them. WL essays are meant to be short, it's kinda part of the challenge to get it concise!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Sandwich, I think she meant including the APA citation of the quote in the footnotes.

Like example:

The Unbearable Lightness of Being, blah blah publication, page blah.

One way to get around this is to NOT use the way when you write "bla bla" (Esquivel p 34), and use instead do a footnote and put all information there.