Doing an option that wasn't "taught"

CommeDesEnfants

I was wondering if you can do an option on the exam that you weren't technically prepared for by the teacher himself, who instead pursued another option unit. In Chemistry, I'd like to do the biochemistry option because I already have knowledge in that from Biology. I have textbooks that would allow me to prepare adequately for the chemistry portion. However, my teacher wants to do another option - perhaps further organic chemistry, which already sounds daunting and undesirable in comparison to biochem. So, on Chem Paper 3, could I just do the biochem option?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was reading on another forum and apparently, people are saying that IB has brought in a new rule in which you must do the options taught by your teacher for the May 2010 exams. Is this true?

I'm not sure. I hadn't ever heard of this before, but can't necessarily say it's not true. What I would say is that there's no possible way the IB will know whether or not you were taught an option by your teacher or if you did it by yourself, so if it is a rule, it's an empty one O:

• 3 weeks later...

I was reading on another forum and apparently, people are saying that IB has brought in a new rule in which you must do the options taught by your teacher for the May 2010 exams. Is this true?

I am pretty sure that you pick your options. Your teacher might "require" you to do an option but for all you are concerned it is only a suggestion.

In Math, for our school, we are required to do the option that our school has chosen because now, IB only sends that option, not all 4 for Paper 3. I'm not sure if IB is doing this for all optional papers, as I did Chemistry and Physics last year, and I did options that I studied by myself (Environmental/Drugs & Medicine, and Astrophysics/Nuclear & Quantum). Fortunately we had textbooks that covered all the options, so I just studied from those, and revised heavily on past papers.