Sign in to follow this  

Doing an option that wasn't "taught"

I was wondering if you can do an option on the exam that you weren't technically prepared for by the teacher himself, who instead pursued another option unit. In Chemistry, I'd like to do the biochemistry option because I already have knowledge in that from Biology. I have textbooks that would allow me to prepare adequately for the chemistry portion. However, my teacher wants to do another option - perhaps further organic chemistry, which already sounds daunting and undesirable in comparison to biochem. So, on Chem Paper 3, could I just do the biochem option?

Yeah. You're not registered or anything for specific options. When you take the exam, you write which options you did and the grader will only look at those options.

The organic chem stuff seems otherworldly annoying.

Yes.

For Biology SL, I wrote the exam for Option A although we were taught Option C in class.

Just make sure that you follow the syllabus carefully while preparing for an Option by yourself.

Edited by 1-2-3

I was reading on another forum and apparently, people are saying that IB has brought in a new rule in which you must do the options taught by your teacher for the May 2010 exams. Is this true?

I was reading on another forum and apparently, people are saying that IB has brought in a new rule in which you must do the options taught by your teacher for the May 2010 exams. Is this true?

I'm not sure. I hadn't ever heard of this before, but can't necessarily say it's not true. What I would say is that there's no possible way the IB will know whether or not you were taught an option by your teacher or if you did it by yourself, so if it is a rule, it's an empty one O:

Well, my teacher told us that people have done the Biochem option before, but that since we don't cover it they usually don't do too well, but she gave us the syllabus for that option as well anyway, and said it's up to us. So I don't think that's true.

My teacher chose our options. We did Further Human Physiology and Neurobiology and Behaviour. I found Neurobiology and Behaviour fine when we learned it in class (though I haven't written the IB exam on it yet). It was fairly easy to understand, I think.

I am pretty sure that you pick your options. Your teacher might "require" you to do an option but for all you are concerned it is only a suggestion.

In Math, for our school, we are required to do the option that our school has chosen because now, IB only sends that option, not all 4 for Paper 3. I'm not sure if IB is doing this for all optional papers, as I did Chemistry and Physics last year, and I did options that I studied by myself (Environmental/Drugs & Medicine, and Astrophysics/Nuclear & Quantum). Fortunately we had textbooks that covered all the options, so I just studied from those, and revised heavily on past papers.