Procrastination!

Person

As a human being that has sold her life to the IB in exchange of tons and tons of endless work, one might think that I would spend my time studying, that is, "working hard" (I do not know if this is the case with all IB schools, or even schools in general, but our school seems to be in love with the "Hard Work" issue). Anyway, instead of submerging myself with the "tons of endless work", I find myself simply doing, ummm, well...Nothing. Perhaps I am caught by the invisible chains of procrastination!

Anyone out there also caught by the invisible chains of procrastination? Also, anyone out there that has managed to free themselves from them? How?

Generally I don't procrastinate too much, and the biggest source of distraction for me is the internet. So, in the interests of limiting distractions I make sure that whenever I do non-computer work I do it in a room free of a computer, and when I do computer work I either go on one without internet or I take some measures to limit the sites I can go on; getting a parent to monitor e.g. Limiting distractions is the best way to avoid procrastination, as well as being genuinely interested in what you are doing. Motivation also helps, so just think about where the hard work will get you, and where doing no work will get you.

Same here, having the computer next to me makes me feel that i can study. Obviously, its not true, but sometimes it is neccesary to go to my room where the only computer is a VERY SLOW Windows XP with like 6fps and that cannot run anything except visual studio, ect. so i can do my 1-3 hours of AP US History notes

• 3 months later...
Guest saturday

I procastinate a lot. I have a motivation prolem until I have a time problem. I do the work on time, though my essays are usually either written the day they are given or the night before they are due. And I don't think this type of thing is too smart for IB, but I procastinate about changing it.

Edited by saturday

The only thing I've ever had which worked for me (except for panic, fear and deadlines, of course) is this advice:

Imagine how you would behave right now if you were not a procrastinator. Get a clear picture in your mind and then act out that role or pretend, for the next hour, that you are not a procrastinator.

For some reason pretending that I'm one of those magic people for an hour actually works. I don't procrastinate for a whole hour by fooling my mind into thinking I'm actually performing a task of procrastination (aka pretending something for an hour), therefore making it seem like I'm not working when I'm actually not. It's weirdly effective, despite sounding demented/crazy! :D