AS Level Mathematics equals what in the IB?

avident

London School of Economics states as its essential qualifications for the management course 'AS Level (or equivalent) Mathematics'. Does anyone know what is the corresponding level to that in the IB? And if it is a essential qualification do you think a very high grade is required from it in order to gain admission?

newschoolrome.com

C1 & C2: Algebra and functions; coordinate geometry in the (x, y) plane; sequences and series; trigonometry; exponentials and logarithms; differentiation; integration

M1: Mathematical models in mechanics; vectors in mechanics; kinematics of a particle moving in a straight line; dynamics of a particle moving in a straight line or plane; statics of a particle; moments.

That sounds to me like C1 & C2 correspond to Maths SL and M1 Corresponds to Physics SL.

If you are taking Maths SL and Physics SL, than a 5-7 would probally gaurentee that essential qualification for the management course

EDIT: Sorry, i meant Maths SL. same thing at my school.

Edited by 2401 I Hate Tangents

2401. Calc SL is not an IB subject. It's either Maths Studies / Maths SL / Maths HL.

Avident: LSE usually prefers Maths HL for all its students however they do make concessions sometimes and they would do in this case as Management isn't really mathematics heavy. Therefore the minimum that they would accept would be Maths SL (Maths Methods), however no lower than that. And even for that, it's advisable to have a very high grade (either a 6 or a 7).

A-Level mathematics have Physics as a component in the course unlike IB Maths.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, it says on the website that ''AS level pass at grade A in Mathematics is required.'' I suppose that's a 6-7. Bummer. I only have a 5.

You should send them an email and ask them because I have had to do that with all the Unis I want to go to and sometimes they have different requirements for the IB. I would definately ask if it doesn't say on the website rather than guessing.