World Lit THESIS Question!

koogs21

For the thesis of my world lit, does it HAVE to contrast one book to the other?

My teacher recommended that we use the word "whereas" (or something along those lines) in our thesis statement, this shows a contrast.

In my body paragraphs I discuss some contrasting issues amongst both books, but I mainly talk about how these contrasting issues relate to the similar conclusion of both books

So can my thesis just show how both books conclude in the same manner?!

THANKS! :)

You have to be really precise in the manner in which both books conclude( if you were to comment on it). You have to pick up on let's say the author's way of revealing the climax and how the protagonists or something are portrayed after that. Be critical and say how that has an impact on the reading of the novel as a whole or a specific 'idea' you were commenting on such as 'the protagonists role in achieving peace' or whatever. Keep in mind that your idea must concern both books.

As for your thesis or question you'd have to think that up by yourself and then we could help you build on that :)

Well WL1 IS a comparative piece, so it does have to compare & contrast one with the other. If all you can find are similarities, then it could well just be a comparison, but unless you're comparing a book with itself, there'll always be differences of some sort of another, and it's important you look at the effects of the contrasts between them as much as what is the same.

If by thesis you mean just the title of the essay, it doesn't have to necessarily pick up on the contrast bit of it. I mean in my class most people had as a title: A comparison of the use of [THEME] in the novel BLAH by BLAH and BLAH by BLAH.

You can do your WL on the conclusions of the novels if you'd like and end up showing how they're similar, and inevitably you'll have to mention some points of contrast in there, but no it doesn't all have to be contrasting. You're doing a comparison, so you can pick out similarities and dissimilarities the same, provided you comment on the different effects these have within the two different books.