Further Maths

HelenaStage

15 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Further Maths?

• It's very demanding
    • It's easy
    • Biggest mistake of my life
    • A lovely and interesting topic

Hi,

So I noticed there are loads of threads about the common Maths levels but none about Further Maths, so I wanted to make this thread where we can exchange experiences, maybe help each other out if we're stuck and generally just talk about Further Maths...

For starters, am I the only non-Asian person to be taking this course? Yes, yes, I know that comment is prejudiced but my observations so far corroborate my impression...

Also, at my school (if we wish to take Further Maths), Further Maths is a self-study and not a normal subject like any other with a teacher(which is why I have 7 subjects). I have a guidance teacher who helps me out if I have problems understanding a topic, but otherwise I pretty much decide what to do and in what order. How is this compared to your school?

Edit: it seems that non-Asian people also have a realistic chance of doing this, so good news for all those non-Asians out there considering this subject.

Edited by HelenaStage

Just out of curiosity why did you choose to do Further maths on top of you're extremely hard combination which you already made difficult enough having the 4 hardest HLs possible? Are you one of those awesome people who are really productive and focused? :blink: Do you really enjoy maths? How you finding the IB so far?

Just out of curiosity why did you choose to do Further maths on top of you're extremely hard combination which you already made difficult enough having the 4 hardest HLs possible? Are you one of those awesome people who are really productive and focused? :blink: Do you really enjoy maths? How you finding the IB so far?

I want to study particle physics, hopefully at Oxford, Durham or Imperial so I really actually need that subject combination to have a realistic chance of getting in (English because I'm technically not a native English speaker; I have a Danish passport and was born here). I really enjoy having these subjects and so far (I started in August) I haven't found it the least bit as hard as I had been told by our counsellor (I was originally dreading it quite a bit).

Yes, I do enjoy Further Maths and Mathematics in general, and recently when doing a Maths HL practice portfolio (we do one for practice, and then two real ones) I found it helped me quite a bit, so yay for that!

Surprisingly, I have a lot more free time than I expected: maybe 2-3 hours every day some of which I then devote to Further Maths, others to procrastination or, my personal favourite, ICE-CREAM MADNESS AND CINEMA!!!

I'm not gonna lie and say Further Maths is a piece of cake, but its is interesting and fun and that's why I created this thread to share experience or maybe help each other out if stuck on something...

Edit: I just realised that I wish it were possible to have no Group 3 subject...

Edited by HelenaStage

I know somebody who did Further Maths as a seventh subject a few years ago (2 years ago) more or less the same way you do (self-study with help if you need some). Mostly because hardly anybody actually takes it as a subject so it wasn't viable to have an actual class for it. Amazingly, got a 7. I think you have to be an absolute maths genius to do it, being honest. Anyway she wasn't asian (:blink:), just really, really, really smart.

You don't need to do Further Maths to have a realistic chance of getting into your University choices, though. Provided you hit their usual predicted grades for the subjects they ask for, you've got a realistic chance anyway! Not that Further Maths wouldn't help -- I'm sure it'll come in handy because you will have learned some stuff in advance and will maybe reflect well that you want to take the subject even further, but it's not necessary. I don't mean that in a disparaging way, just for anybody else who wants to do a similar thing who might read this thread. To my knowledge Further Maths isn't required for any University course anywhere.

I know somebody who did Further Maths as a seventh subject a few years ago (2 years ago) more or less the same way you do (self-study with help if you need some). Mostly because hardly anybody actually takes it as a subject so it wasn't viable to have an actual class for it. Amazingly, got a 7. I think you have to be an absolute maths genius to do it, being honest. Anyway she wasn't asian (:blink:), just really, really, really smart.

You don't need to do Further Maths to have a realistic chance of getting into your University choices, though. Provided you hit their usual predicted grades for the subjects they ask for, you've got a realistic chance anyway! Not that Further Maths wouldn't help -- I'm sure it'll come in handy because you will have learned some stuff in advance and will maybe reflect well that you want to take the subject even further, but it's not necessary. I don't mean that in a disparaging way, just for anybody else who wants to do a similar thing who might read this thread. To my knowledge Further Maths isn't required for any University course anywhere.

Oh yes, you're quite right. I apologize if anything else came across. However, when studying the course requirement for physics at Oxford I found Further Maths to be "highly recommended". Seeing I know quite a few people with predicted grades above 40 who didn't get an offer from Oxbridge I chose Further Maths to kind of be more on the "safe side" (not that there particularly is one, but you know what I mean) in terms of getting an offer.

Sorry for any confusion I might have created...

In response to your comment on having to be a Maths genius to do Further Maths you don't necessarily agree...I do not exactly consider myself a genius and I can do it just fine. I'd rather put it this way: If you in any way feel challenged by HL Maths, then don't choose Further Maths.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as Further Maths HL? If so, what is the syllabus for it?

Edited by HelenaStage

I probally have to do further maths next year :blink:

I don't realy know what to say about it, because My teacher grades further maths with a group grade: the students give lectures and teach the class and if it is effective then everyone gets an A, B, ect. But if one person slacks off, the whole class suffers :)

I probally have to do further maths next year :blink:

I don't realy know what to say about it, because My teacher grades further maths with a group grade: the students give lectures and teach the class and if it is effective then everyone gets an A, B, ect. But if one person slacks off, the whole class suffers :)

I feel with you, my friend. Group grades is the most terrible invention ever... :)

• Like 1

Bishup

What do you mean you probably have to take Further Maths? That's absurd and stupid.

Sorry if it came out that way. I tis just that either I retake Calc HL next year and do Further Maths as a senior, or I do Further Maths next year and do Diff eq. the following year. Or i could do AP Stats, but My math teacher doesn't really recommend it...

HL maths in one year? :) Can't you simply take Maths HL over the two years. Or are you guys all Asian and have been doing Olympic maths since the age of 5? Why have you got these two possibilities, I mean I find it fascinating but how come and also referring to the second thing you mentioned

or I do Further Maths next year and do Diff eq. the following year
. Further maths is a follow up of the HL Maths course. So they cognate

So wait you starting IB next year? :blink: Just to clear things up.

I could retake Maths HL, but its not offered over two years. I wish it was sadnod.gif

Im not Asian or Indian, im hispanic lol. I doubt if there was a Olympic Maths that they would let me in anyway biggrin.gif

Im already doing IB, im taking Maths HL and Physics SL test this year.

So the further maths is the second year of Maths HL for most people?

Yah, I did Maths SL before IB so I just took the AP test for it.

Bishup

So you graduate in 2010?

This is were I get confused. I turn in my IB papers and submit everything as a junior, so I would finish IB on May 2011. But I take IB tests this May, 2010. I graduate High School at 2012. So Im kind of confused what it means by "IB Tests."

Thanks for clearing that up. I was really confused.

I took Maths SL last year (freshmen), but i took the AP test because my school combines AP Calculus AB and Maths SL. So I could have had 3 years of IB, but last year I really didn't do IB tests. This year I started my CAS, so I think that means I started IB this year. So yah, i only really have two years of IB. My school is kind of weird that way.

AHh bingo it makes perfect sense now. So in fact what you should do is change your graduation year to 2011 like me but instead mention in your signature you're subject and like Highlight your anticipated subject so people know in the future. This would be really helpful to others too. :blink:

Btw congrats on being good at maths I wish I was a maths wizz like you even though I'm pretty good at other stuff like languages.