Further Maths

HelenaStage

15 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Further Maths?

• It's very demanding
    • It's easy
    • Biggest mistake of my life
    • A lovely and interesting topic

RBST

Why would you need Further maths when you're doing Maths HL?

Does it make any difference? I mean, does it support your application to colleges?

You wouldn't. Unless you skip, Further maths would come after Maths HL. If you are talking about integration of the two subjects, i don't think it would be required for any of the colleges. I don't really know how they integrate the subjects either, but it certianly would help you, unless your a math wiz, to take Maths HL before Further Maths. It may help your transcript, but if you don't do good because you have integrated maths classes, it isn't worth it.

Why would you need Further maths when you're doing Maths HL?

Does it make any difference? I mean, does it support your application to colleges?

Where I want to apply they recommend having Further Maths, so yeah, it does affect my application if I do. But as has been mentioned already it isn't a REQUIREMENT anywhere we know of...

Thx 2401 I Hate Tangents and HelenaStage..

Does this 7th subject add points to ur diploma?

I get Further Maths as a separate diploma, as the main one is only six subjects. Good thing about it is that it won't affect my predicted grade or anything, even if it goes badly (as the universities only look at the main diploma for application). So if things go awfully wrong nothing will happen and if they go well I have the extra maths to boost my application. :D

IB further math is to put in technical terms the four option topics plus one extra geometry topic. Seing that HL sstudents have to do about 25% of the further math course anyway. it is not particuarly challenging if math interests u. i wish i could do it but school doesnt offer. not to say that HL is any challenging. i would say HL math is appropriate for those who are aiming at a carrer in math or computer science.

oh and the reason why IB further math HL is not available is that they have not been able to design a syllabus for it. They are unable to offer even more advanced mathematics at the very movement

*correction to my first post i meant further math SL is appropriate for those aiming for a career in math or computer science

• 2 weeks later...

oh and the reason why IB further math HL is not available is that they have not been able to design a syllabus for it. They are unable to offer even more advanced mathematics at the very movement

*correction to my first post i meant further math SL is appropriate for those aiming for a career in math or computer science

Erm... Source? I hardly doubt this is the reason. I think a much likelier reason is that they want students to learn several subjects in depth (i.e. at Higher Level) and not just maths. IB is all about diversity, remember?

Erm... Source? I hardly doubt this is the reason. I think a much likelier reason is that they want students to learn several subjects in depth (i.e. at Higher Level) and not just maths. IB is all about diversity, remember?

Then why wouldn't they just call it Further Maths instead of Further Maths SL?

They call it that because all IB courses are either SL or HL and the number of lessons Further Maths should ideally be taught in is the same as with all SL subjects.

They call it that because all IB courses are either SL or HL and the number of lessons Further Maths should ideally be taught in is the same as with all SL subjects.

• Like 1

Makes sense...

• 1 month later...
HelenaStage

Then why wouldn't they just call it Further Maths instead of Further Maths SL

probably because IB wants to stage a Further Maths HL that may be coming up in the future...

This seems to be the case!

"Further mathematics SL, to be a replaced by a new Higher level mathematics course,possiblycalled Further Mathematics HL. This new course to be modeled on the existing Further Mathematics SL course."

- International Baccalaureate - Diploma Developments

Im physic :D

But I wonder what the curriculum would look like for Further Maths HL, I assume that the branches of mathematics would divide off for career specific subjects after Differential equations or Further Maths SL. I wonder when they will start FM HL... I also wonder how many people would take it :)

• Like 1