EE in Islamic History

Dreamer94

I'm thinking about doing my essay on Islamic History, but such a subject doesn't exist anymore in IB. Of course it would be under History, but how do I know that the person reading my extended essay knows this historical event or Islamic history in general? In the past, it was easy enough to label it Islamic History and to send it off to a person who's skilled in this area, but I fear this may not be the case anymore. Would it be under History Route 1 or something? For anyone's who's interested, I'm thinking my topic should be

How did Hussain's Martyrdom in Kerbala impact the history and development of the Shiite Sect of Islam? (something around that)

I was reminded of this topic mainly because Ashura (the day of the martyrdom) happens is coming up, and it is interesting to see its impact on Shiites all over the world.

I'm thinking about doing my essay on Islamic History, but such a subject doesn't exist anymore in IB. Of course it would be under History, but how do I know that the person reading my extended essay knows this historical event or Islamic history in general? In the past, it was easy enough to label it Islamic History and to send it off to a person who's skilled in this area, but I fear this may not be the case anymore. Would it be under History Route 1 or something?

It would come under history, you're right. But, i wouldn't worry about the persone who'll read it IB know that students pick a wide range of topics for EE so they are most likely aware of the variety of topics and have a genral idea of most of the issues.

I think your question is pretty interesting but you would probably want to put in a time scope and focus on that specific period or you investigation would be seen as to general and the time scope would be tooooooo wide....u've done the IA write?...just apply similar requirements...good luck! :blink:

I agree with what pookwa said about the subject your EE is in.

Dreamer, definitely make sure that your EE isn't solely focused on the politics, but don't worry about discussing a politically charged time. You said your topic/RQ is

How did Hussain's Martyrdom in Kerbala impact the history and development of the Shiite Sect of Islam? (something around that)

There are ways to address the political factors and the nonpolitical factors. I can understand you talking about the development of the Shia sect in this region and how that might fall under more structural/political things, but I think it's not so hard to focus on the social/cultural impacts. In fact, you might want to define what kinds of impacts you're looking at in your RQ [and you might want to specify what part of the world you're talking about unless it literally impacted all Shia sects]. Anyways, as long as you follow the criteria the IB provides, I don't think you'll get points off for being off topic. I don't know anything about your topic, so I can't be more specific.