2010-2011 Prescribed Titles Help!

navyboat

I am interested in doing topic numbers 2, 3, 4, 6 and 9

out of these, which one of these do you guys think will make a in-depth (extensive)essay?

2. How important are the opinions of experts in search of knowledge?

3."Doubt is key to knowledge" (Persian Proverb). To what exent is this true in two areas of knowledge. (science and what else?)

4. To what extent do we need evidence to support our beliefs in different areas of knowledge?

6. "There are no absolute distinctions between what is true and what is false." Disuss.

9. Discuss the roles of language and reason in History. (Stalin, Peron, Castro...)

Personally, i'm inlcined towards numbers 3, 4, and 6. What do you guys think?

Edited by Sandwich
Chatspeak.

Personally I think #2 and #3 would be the best essays to do because they are quite straight forward to answer (and could probably be dealt with reasonably well within 1500 words). #4 and #6 would give you a headache after 10 minutes or so on account of being obtuse and irritatingly circular and I think #9 just isn't worth doing.

If I had to pick one, I'd choose #3 as easiest to get a decent essay out of! You could discuss all the issues in sufficient depth within the word limit much more effectively than any of the other titles. At least that's what I think :vampire:

2. How important are the opinions of experts in search of knowledge?

3."Doubt is key to knowledge" (Persian Proverb). To what exent is this true in two areas of knowledge. (science and what else?)

4. To what extent do we need evidence to support our beliefs in different areas of knowledge?

6. "There are no absolute distinctions between what is true and what is false." Disuss.

9. Discuss the roles of language and reason in History. (Stalin, Peron, Castro...)

I like numbers 2 and 3. I'm personally not a big fan of "to what extent" questions (like number 4), although the question itself is pretty good itself. 6 is just typical, and annoying; I wouldn't even attempt to do it. 9 I wouldn't do just because I'm not interested in History, but it's definitely doable.

• Like 1

Personally I think #2 and #3 would be the best essays to do because they are quite straight forward to answer (and could probably be dealt with reasonably well within 1500 words). #4 and #6 would give you a headache after 10 minutes or so on account of being obtuse and irritatingly circular and I think #9 just isn't worth doing.

If I had to pick one, I'd choose #3 as easiest to get a decent essay out of! You could discuss all the issues in sufficient depth within the word limit much more effectively than any of the other titles. At least that's what I think :vampire:

Thanks for the guidance,

For #3, other than science, what other areas of knowledge can be considered and in what way?

Thanks for the guidance,

For #3, other than science, what other areas of knowledge can be considered and in what way?

That's doing some of the work for you, doncha know xP

It's quite simple, you just look at the process of distilling knowledge. For science this means questioning things (i.e. assuming automatically things are wrong and trying to disprove them as your way of proving them). Just look at how we obtain knowledge in other areas and (my advice would be) find something contrasting where doubt has a pointless role (arts, ethics, to some extent history...) and then think about it as to which would be best for you to discuss :vampire: The topic is sufficiently straightforward that once you've hit the nail on the head, you're off on a roll..

Thanks for the help everyone!

I'm giving #2 a lot of thought right now, I just wanted some feedback. I'm thinking of doing Science, Art and History as areas of knowledge.

Basically I will discuss the 'extent of reliance' on the opinions of experts in the preceding AOKs. In terms of WOKs, what is te minimum number? I was thinking of doing perception as one of them, but I can't decide on others. I was told that the WOKs have to bring together the AOKs so they have to be the same for all of them to add unity. However, I think emotion would play a large role in Art but not in Science which is why I'm troubled right now.

Also, for counter-claims, is it necessary to have one for every argument?

Thank again for the help.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I did topic 6 and quite enjoyed it. I'm not sure of my grade - I'm an N10 - but I think I did pretty well.

Make sure you choose something you actually enjoy and would want to do rather than what people on a forum say you should do, otherwise you'll end up hating your essay which will come across to the examiners.