Quotes in the TOK essay, a MUST ?

hanz

I was just wondering, if including quotes in the TOK essay a must or not. I handed in my TOK essay last week i have chosen title 10, my supervisor helped me through it and deleted all my previous quotes she said they were irrelevant. so i re-wrote it and without any quotes, she said its okay and not a must. because my title is about scientific and historical explanations, and does not really require any quotes. Is it a MUST ?

You mean quotations, quotes have to do with finances. :vampire: But if I recall correctly, there was no mention of any references/quotations on the rurbic. And my teacher marked mine (I actually did the same topic as you), and I didn't use any quotations and he ended up giving me a 40/40 for a predicted. So I'm fairly confident that you don't have to worry about them. Just make sure you source anything you use (footnotes and bibliography should be fine)!

Quotations are unnecessary showing-off and detracting from discussing actually important things in what is ultimately a very short essay for what they're asking you to do. I'd say avoid them! Unless you're mentioning TOK in a personal statement or other non-TOK related thing and want to make TOK seem very intellectual. I know somebody who littered their personal statement with quotes, ended up getting one of the most prestigious places at Cambridge after quoting from what was actually a TOK title in an attempt to seem uniquely personally philosophical about the basis of science. Some people really know how it works! :vampire:

Sadly very few of us are lucky enough to be one of them.

• 2 months later...

Well it seems like whatever answer you get on this thread is too late since you've handed it in already... :yes:

I think quotes show passion & research & interest (o_O) in your topic and impress the reader IF the quotes are relevant and prove your point.

On the other hand if by logic and well-structured reasoning you can perfectly prove your point, then don't include quotes.

I included quotes for mine, but not a lot.

Some topics will favour use of external quotes, others are more intellectual and personal response-type of questions.

yup.

• 4 weeks later...

some of the teachers say that quotes is a must while others say that write ur ur own view abt the topic. but i would like to say that add quotes but add only 5 quotes at max and write ur view about the quote i.e. ur perception abt the quote..!! good luck..!!