Quantum Processing - Computer Science

DJ CAS

Hi!

I am writing my EE in Computer Science and I have decided to write it on quantum processors.

Does anyone have any background information or suggestions because I am completely new to this particular topic?

If possible, I am looking for approval of the topic I have chosen - The New Generation of Processors; Quantum Processors

I know that the technology is still being developed but we are allowed to discuss future technology so... I picked this.

I would suggest you got for something where you can involve yourself more. You know get more personal with a topic. Ususally for EEs like computer science people write their own programs and stuff. New technology sounds attractive but most of the time it only renders hackeneyed secondary research

• Like 1

Or maybe you should do an comparison of a new with an old technology. but be sure to get some primary research into it. say like talk to some people who are actually makinf quantam processors. if u actually now people at the heart of designing Quantam Proccessors that would be idealistic. And since it is computer science be more specific on the technicalities of quantam processors rather than its global implications which would deviate into ITGS.

• Like 1

Or maybe you should do an comparison of a new with an old technology. but be sure to get some primary research into it. say like talk to some people who are actually makinf quantam processors. if u actually now people at the heart of designing Quantam Proccessors that would be idealistic. And since it is computer science be more specific on the technicalities of quantam processors rather than its global implications which would deviate into ITGS.

Thanks for your reply Awail! I am making sure that I don't deviate into ITGS because I know that is the biggest pitfall in CS EEs. I'm focusing as much as I can on the technical aspects such quantum bits and how data is stored etc. Does that sound on track to you? Unfortunately, I don't have any contacts with quantum processor designing people although the university I want to go to is doing this stuff.

I would suggest you got for something where you can involve yourself more. You know get more personal with a topic. Ususally for EEs like computer science people write their own programs and stuff. New technology sounds attractive but most of the time it only renders hackeneyed secondary research

I don't mind making any programs but I couldn't find an application/topic where I could do so. My topic is now re-phrased to "Can quantum computers replace the classical computers of today?"

hey ur research question sounds better now. Maybe as u go on in ur research u can narrow it even more. As for the primary research, you shoudl try and get some one who probably knows a lot on ur topic generally even if he is not a designer or anything like that. Atleast you can get an expert in classical computers to get in your view. u know its kinda safer if u can throw in some primary research. As per the content I thinks its on track as long as your sources are varied(like from websites, books, latest magazines)

Good luck with ur topic!

• Like 1

I agree with Avail, but it may seem to some readers that our classical computers, if not replaced by quantum computers, will not technologically advance. You could instead word it like "Can Quantum Computers follow the computers of today?" or something like that. But the topic is very good - you may in your EE want to state the ultimate potential of quantum processing compared to how much we can harness/use. There could also be security issues in the future if our classic computers are not withdrawn when there are quantum computers present i.e. cracking encryption codes that would take 5 years could take like a week with a quantum computer.

I wish comp sci was offered at my school... :(

• Like 1

I agree with Avail, but it may seem to some readers that our classical computers, if not replaced by quantum computers, will not technologically advance. You could instead word it like "Can Quantum Computers follow the computers of today?" or something like that. But the topic is very good - you may in your EE want to state the ultimate potential of quantum processing compared to how much we can harness/use. There could also be security issues in the future if our classic computers are not withdrawn when there are quantum computers present i.e. cracking encryption codes that would take 5 years could take like a week with a quantum computer.

I wish comp sci was offered at my school... :D

Hey!

Sorry to hear that Computer Science isn't at your school. It is a very interesting subject but I have to admit that the Extended Essay takes the difficulty to an all new level of craziness even though Computer Science is easy (at least for me).

My question word for word is: "Is it feasible for quantum computers in the future to replace the classical computers of today, especially considering quantum and silicon microprocessors?"

And by the way... Quantum computers can crack encryption codes in seconds whereas a classical computer would take more than the age of the universe.

hey ur research question sounds better now. Maybe as u go on in ur research u can narrow it even more. As for the primary research, you shoudl try and get some one who probably knows a lot on ur topic generally even if he is not a designer or anything like that. Atleast you can get an expert in classical computers to get in your view. u know its kinda safer if u can throw in some primary research. As per the content I thinks its on track as long as your sources are varied(like from websites, books, latest magazines)

Good luck with ur topic!

I've evaluated quantum computers and classical computers but I am still just below 2000 words. Do you have any suggestions on areas I could explore in the body of my Extended Essay?

As you mentioned, carrying out primary research from someone with quantum computing would be ideal but it is not very easy as they are not very common nor accessible.

Another thing as you said was that my sources had to be varied but again, getting quantum processor information is not very accessible as it is still being developed and details are not really published to the general public.

Any suggestions with that?

By the way guys... I REALLY really appreciate your input and it is helping me a great deal.

Thanks a lot!

CAS Maniac

My question word for word is: "Is it feasible for quantum computers in the future to replace the classical computers of today, especially considering quantum and silicon microprocessors?"

And by the way... Quantum computers can crack encryption codes in seconds whereas a classical computer would take more than the age of the universe.

Considering your word for word question, I take that back. The phrase "can quantum computers replace the classical computers of today" makes more sense now in the context you set it in. And yes, it seems that I have underestimated the potential of Quantum computers by quite a lot :D. That would certainly provide quite a security threat to IBM and Microsoft if they can't produce it first.

If you have not used any Academic Journals yet, I would assume there are some out there. Some of the "Predict the future of computers" programs might also have some more information, like Mozilla's Aurora project, although that might focus too much on the future of the web and web browsers.

If you are still under the word count, although I would assume you have elaborated on the legality issues, you could use an example like some cybersaftey law and explain how the introduction of Quantum Computers could void that.

• Like 1

Hmm the thing is I am not a Computer Science person myself, so I really dont know much about ur body of the essay. I was just giving some basic ee advise. Try looking into newspapers, journals and stuff for your variety.Thats the basic problem with new technology... You should really elaborate on classic computers to get the rest of the words . Try bringing out the problems with classical computers(I am sure a lot of expert advice can come through from here along with ur varied sources).

Edited by Awail
  • Like 1

CAS Maniac

Considering your word for word question, I take that back. The phrase "can quantum computers replace the classical computers of today" makes more sense now in the context you set it in. And yes, it seems that I have underestimated the potential of Quantum computers by quite a lot :D. That would certainly provide quite a security threat to IBM and Microsoft if they can't produce it first.

If you have not used any Academic Journals yet, I would assume there are some out there. Some of the "Predict the future of computers" programs might also have some more information, like Mozilla's Aurora project, although that might focus too much on the future of the web and web browsers.

If you are still under the word count, although I would assume you have elaborated on the legality issues, you could use an example like some cybersaftey law and explain how the introduction of Quantum Computers could void that.

The technology is actually really cool. The fact that it is based on atoms is even more absurd. I found a few books online on quantum computing yesterday and I managed to find the e-mail address of the guy who is leading the quantum computing research at IBM!!!

Hmm the thing is I am not a Computer Science person myself, so I really dont know much about ur body of the essay. I was just giving some basic ee advise. Try looking into newspapers, journals and stuff for your variety.Thats the basic problem with new technology... You should really elaborate on classic computers to get the rest of the words . Try bringing out the problems with classical computers(I am sure a lot of expert advice can come through from here along with ur varied sources).

Ok. Thanks!

Good luck with ur topic!

Hey!

Awesome news. I found two guys. One is the head of quantum research at IBM and is a professor at MIT!!! I found their webpages and e-mail addresses.