French A2 self-taught?

Hey guys!

I have a bit of a problem. I'm going into IB next year and it has come time to select IB courses. Unfortunately, the only second language course that my school offers is French B SL. I have studied French for a lot longer than my classmates (10 years) and I am almost fluent in it, so I find French class at school to be boring because I already know what's being taught. So, I'm considering doing French A2 SL self taught. Would this be a good idea, given my situation? I have never self-studied a subject before either.

I think you should go for French A2 self-taught, to be honest A2 languages are not that hard I wish my school offered Italian A2 :) You need have a look at the syllabus choose your books for study and topics for the language component of it. I'm sure you can find a french teacher who can help you with it. If you want I can ask the French A2 class and my self-taught teacher who happens to be french and teach A2. Are you from Quebec by the way? :D

Thanks! I'm not sure if my school will approve it though, because I would be the first in my school to self-study French. I know that someone did Further Math by themselves though, so maybe I have a good chance. I'll have to stay motivated though, and not slack off :D

Haha lol it would be awesome to be from Quebec, but I'm from Ontario :)

I love the idea that Canada is bilingual. Anyway you should really go ahead with and state the reasons why. Like say you'd really enjoy it and it'd allow you to have a qualification adapted to your level of French. I could help you with french a bit if you want.

I like the fact that Canada is bilingual as well :) I'll go talk to the IB coordinator tomorrow about it, as it seems like a good idea. I hear that if you do a language A2, you get a bilingual diploma. Is this true? Btw, how are you finding French A1 right now, out of curiosity?

Thanks for all your advice! Now I know who to ask for French help :D

yes you do get a bilingual diploma. In fact I get one to without doing and A2. I love French A1, even if its self-taught, it's so awesome to be in the self-taught crew ( several of with different languages). I don't find it hard since it's my mothertongue, but I do get the occasional desensitised feel since I live in an English speaking country and only speak french with my siblings. In terms of A1 I considered English, French and Swedish but I chose French because it's what I wanted to do.

Well, today I ran into a lady who used to be the IB coordinator and she said that they don't want people to self-study languages, since apparently there were a few people who self-studied Arabic and they did horribly, though this was over 10 years ago. :D So she doesn't like the idea, but she says I can still talk to the current coordinator if I really want to go through with it. I don't know what to do now... :)

Well to give you an idea. Our self-taught coordinator over the year has seen 6 most of the times and a few 7s but very few fives, so i'm feeling comfortable. Think about for A1 it's much more work than A2 since it's purely literature and consists of more rigorous reading and analysis of texts. If you're passionate about french i'd do it. If it comes to worst you just simply change to French B and voila. No problem

Hmm...well if I go for French B I can get an easy 7, but for A2 I'd have to work for it. A2 would be more satisying for me though, especially if I do well in it. So I'm still leaning towards A2, but I'll go see the IB coordinator and discuss it. Hopefully he's a bit more optimistic... :)

Non, je ne lui en ai pas parle.(sorry but I don't know how to use accents on this forum :S) He's (apparently) quite busy right now with course selections and stuff. You seem to be the only one who's actually encouraging me to go forth with it lol. Everyone else I've mentioned it to is against it :) But I'll still try to get some time to talk it over with him.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the (really) late reply, but I've decided on taking French B SL, because I've decided that I'm not really comfortable doing French alone, I would need more guidance than simply asking a teacher once in a blue moon. At least French will be easy for me then and I can focus more on my other subjects. Thanks for the input though, I really appreciated it. Good luck to you in French A1 and your other IB subjects! :coffee: