Sign in to follow this  

How do you construct the Introduction and Thesis?

I have no clue what is supposed to be in the Introduction of a History EE? Is it supposed to include all of the background research? What does it entail?

Then what is your thesis supposed to be about? I know it goes in the Intro but what is it actually for? How do I construct it?

I didn't do a history essay to say this with absolute confidence, but I suspect it'd be similar to any humanities essay which generally means in the Introduction you should put the problem in context, provide sufficient background information, highlight the key issues and then briefly explain how (and perhaps why) you're going to deal with them - for instance I am going to investigate the role of BLAH in BLAH war by looking at BLAH sources and then contrasting them with BLAH sources because of BLAH. That kind of thing xP You can also put why you chose that particular topic (I know I had to write something about how it's relevant), but for History I don't think this is necessary on account of the fact you can't really have "relevant" and "irrelevant" history! xP

As for your thesis, although I'm not really familiar with the concept of a thesis, it's just a statement of intent, right? So that would be your title, I guess. Then of course you explain your intentions a bit more clearly, and specifically how you're going to carry them out, in the Introduction.