Music IB

Nena

Are you taking Music IB?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Are you taking Music IB?

I'm in IB Year 2 and taking Music SL (singing). I'm not really thrilled about the practical part, but i love the history of music and researching composers and periods. How many of you are taking Music? Do you like it? Is higher level really harder? Are you nervous about the recital at the end of the year? Does your school offer Music in IB at all??

Edited by Nena

My school does offer music as a subject, but I think only 1 student has took it so far and he was a music prodigy or something :)

I had asked my IB coordinator what it is all about and he told me that if you have no previous knowledge of music then you should definitely not choose it because it's pretty tough :)

I don't have any experience with that subject but that guy that chose it was pretty nervous about his finals!

I hope you do great ! :)

**He had music at HL because we wanted to study sth related to it :P

Hello :hug:

I did Music HL at my old school for a little more than two terms and I was the only one taking music in IB. I found it really interesting, especially the history of music, but also the freedom of learning different cultural music. Though now I've changed schools (and continents lol) they don't offer it, so I am having to take a music diploma on top through the OU, I hope I haven't taken on too much, because I'm also doing four HLs!

Do you want to do music in uni?

Lizzie

I'm not doing music, but I wish wish wish I was. :P I have heard that HL music is much more demanding than SL - because they have to do all three aspects - so musical investigation, three compositions and 30 minutes of performance, as well as the final exam. My friends that do music really like it though - it does sound really interesting. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Lucky! :P I wish they offered Music in my school. I love singing and playing instruments (although I only learnt guitar, self-taught so no theory stuff :D) I would've taken it High Level if I had the chance.

English A1 HL

History HL

Arabic B HL

Biology SL

Math SL

German ab initio

• 2 weeks later...

I take Music and it's a ton of fun! There isn't much difference between HL and SL except for a few compositions and an extra question in the exams - most of the work involved is brushing up recognizing the characteristics of music from different time periods and contexts, learning about the set works, and the MLI, all of which are required for both HL and SL.

Also, you don't need to do all your performance in one single recital! That sounds like there's a lot of pressure involved and if you have a sore throat that day then you're in trouble for the assessment. I'm singing as well and my teacher arranges for performances every so often and records them. Then at the end of the year I'll have a lot of recordings of different pieces to choose from and I can pick the best to send to IB for assessment. You should go ask your teacher about it! :)

No, IB Music isn't just limited to band or music history - it's a full IB course, which means it was designed by the IBO to cover the three main aspects of Music: analysis, composition and performance. All IB Music students must learn analysis (which sort of ties in with musicology/music history) because the IB exams are about listening to a piece, sometimes with a score or set of lyrics, and analyzing characteristically or structurally to find the correct musical context. There's also a section about a few set works that you must study during the course and you need to compare/contrast certain aspects that they will specify in the exam. And there's the Musical Links Investigation which is a sort of EE where you compare/contrast the musical features of pieces from different musical cultures.

As for composition and performance, SL students need only pick one of composition, solo performance or group performance (like band, as long as you have a discernible part). HL students have to do both composition and solo performance and I'm not so sure about group performance (but all the students in my class are already in several ensembles and can pick and choose).