Musical Investigation

Nena

• 1 month later...

1) You should analyze examples of flamenco and arabic music to find the general characteristics. What defines each of them? Then try to compare them. What is the same about them? What is different? Unfortunately I don't know very much about either so I can't provide examples, but if you can't find much in common you might have to reconsider your topic. I don't think instrumentation is the best musical element to be focusing on because there won't be much to discuss in your analysis. In this context the two elements that jump out at me are the rhythm of the flamenco beat and the tonality of arabic music.

2) Pick a piece in each style that clearly shows the musical elements you plan on discussing. Find a score or transcribe bits so that you can include them in your investigation.

Edited by Charizard

• 1 month later...

Is there a place I can find the scoring guide or some type of IB Musical Investigation literature online? Maybe an example or two or something and a scoring guide. My teacher gave hardly any information, and absolutely nothing on paper about it. It is due in two days and he will not be there tomorrow.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

As of next year, i hear, the MI is going to become the Musical LINKS Investigation- and thats the hint! oncee you've analysed the two pieces you've chosen, find at least 2 major links and a few smaller ones, and use those as comparison between the two genres- if you can't find them, you might need to change your choice of pieces.

Also, chose your media carefully. You need to figure out whether your information is best displayed in a radio style script using aural excerpts, or in some written form with visual notation- this will depend on the type of music scores you have and your individual style of writing.

Don't forget to put a bit in about the cultures of music you've chosen- obviously one of the key differences will come from here! that being said, don't harp on about the history of arabic music- maybe just a mention of how the intentions of the cultures regarding music are different (ie. one is for worship, one for entertaining, etc.)

• 3 months later...

Since the initiation of the musical links requirement, I find that having a radio script may be helpful as you dont have to try force in certain points and extra facts into your writing, you simply just have people narrate relevant facts that connect and they can also make emphasis on certain points you wish to have outset.