Extended essay help! Business and Management

Maulik

Hi Maulik,

There are no specified topics for your EE. An EE is the opportunity for you to research something around an area in which you have interest.

For example, if you want to find out how McDonalds decides which is the next new item to put on their menu, you would be researching in the area of New Product Development, and Market Research (HINT: Make sure you can actually speak to someone at McDonalds, and I don't mean at a restaurant, I mean at corporate!)

Look at the entire syllabus of B & M & see which area interests you, then see how you think that that topic applies to a company to which you have access (this will make your research much easier - if you can get access to company info & interview staff easily).

Then formulate a specific question linking the topic to the company, and ask your teacher for input.

Also, when you have areas of the sullabus you are interested in, you could ask for more specific input here!

David

• Like 1

hi guys, i would like to do my EE on business and management but i don't know which topics i am supposed to choose. so please give me ideas on topics i can write for my EE.

Hi Maulik,

Well, basically choose something that won't be too complicated when it comes to actually writing and analyzing because you can easily drift away. I recently did my EE on geography and business, my concept was a case study about how geographical location affected the success of a retail facility **please don't use this idea I have already submitted mine with this topic.. But before I actually conducted my experiment, I had tons of ideas: maybe you could compare the management branches of two companies and see how this affects sales, you could compare how managing a local company is different than a transnational corporation that has many headquarters- but you would have to get interviews and have accessibility to this information. I'm not sure how effective these ideas are but you should draft just on a sheet of white paper everything that interests you about how a company's management branch works and you'll come up with tons of ideas!

Maybe you could do something related to hotel management or a restaurant/fast food chain's management offices.

Hope this helped a bit in inspiring you! Feel free to contact me.

Joanna

hi, guys i think yr points have helped me very much. but i still want to ask all of you if possible you could give me more specific topics i can do in my extended essay in business and management.

Although i have thought of a topic which is about motivation but i am not sure about the topic so i need more ideas.

and guys feel free to ask any other question if you have......otherwise thanks for answering my questions and keep on answering them like that. lol..

Maulik, what are you interested in? What have you considered already? Why do you want to do an essay in B&M? Do not ask for members to give you topics. That's your job, and we don't know what will be a suitable topic for you. Instead, you can get their opinions on different parts of the research and writing process.

• Like 1

Hi Maulik,

I have to agree with SweetnSimple on this one - the topic I choose would interest me, and probably not you!!!

You mentioned Motivation. This is also a very large arena. As a subset of Human Resource Management, and closely associated with Psychology (Industrial Psychology, if it is a Business & Management EE), you would need to know the major motivational theories (Maslow, XY theory, Hertzberg, Achievement Theories (McClelland), Expectancy Theory, Z-Theory, and others) Then you would need to understand how they are applied in organisations.

One interesting piece of research I did in a mid-size company was an analysis of the Psychological contract between management and employees, and found the root of conflict. I assisted the company in addressing the differences of opinion, which reduced conflict! This is actually a nice assignment (but the intervention aspect is probably beyond the scope of the IB EE - this was a masters' degree assignment).

Comparing 2 things makes a nice EE, but you need to know exactly what area of B&M you are interested in. Until you can do that, you are wasting your time.

Remember, when you choose the topic, you must realise that this will be your baby for 1 1/2 years or so...you have to be passionate about it!

David

• Like 2

You should not have an identical title as it is demonstrtaed as an example in the official IB EE Guide. Truthfully speaking, this is not a good thing!! Of course you can write about a similar topic, but do not just copy and paste your topic/title.

The Extended Essay is supposed to be your research about something specific and unique that not many people have done before. I am sure it is hard to do n the history area, but you chose to write your EE in Business and Management so I would highly recommend you to change your topic.

Here is a link to excellent extended essays: http://www.tedbursa.k12.tr/ib/

Unfortunately it does not have the option to view Business and Management Extended Essays, but it is still a great way to know what they are looking from from you.

• 1 year later...

You should not have an identical title as it is demonstrtaed as an example in the official IB EE Guide. Truthfully speaking, this is not a good thing!! Of course you can write about a similar topic, but do not just copy and paste your topic/title.

The Extended Essay is supposed to be your research about something specific and unique that not many people have done before. I am sure it is hard to do n the history area, but you chose to write your EE in Business and Management so I would highly recommend you to change your topic.

Here is a link to excellent extended essays: http://www.tedbursa.k12.tr/ib/

Unfortunately it does not have the option to view Business and Management Extended Essays, but it is still a great way to know what they are looking from from you.

hihi

http://www.tedbursa.k12.tr/ib/ is not really working for me...

how can i make this work?

• 7 months later...