Honours and difference between Bsc and BA

JMR

Hi, I would like to know what does it mean by single and double honours? I've heard that doing lets say French and Sociology or other combinations to be seen as less professional than doing one single subject in uni, is this true?

Also, what is the difference for example if you have a bachelor of science in economics or a bachelor in arts in economics?

I think single versus double is what subjects you're studying. In the US, they are called majors. If someone double majors, then he/she has to meet the requirements for each separate major and essential gets two degrees. From what I understand, that's not exactly how it works in other parts of the world. Doing a double 'major' would mean that you're doing some to all of the coursework for each 'major,' but at the end you get a single degree, but your degree says that you've doubled in two areas. I'm not sure on that, but I think it's something like that.

Once again, in the US, double majoring isn't a bad thing. It's impressive and useful for giving you more opportunities, and it's pretty hard if you're aiming on doing two degrees in the standard four years. I don't know how a double degree is perceived elsewhere.

So from what I understand, B.Sc. is if you're going to do a science/engineering route, of course. But it's also more associated with people who want to get a Masters. And it's for like administration and social science fields where you're going into management and need the science and technology background. B.A. is for a pretty liberal arts education. You have the typical humanities as majors for a Bachelor in Arts. It's also for more generalized things. Like rather than knowing a lot about one tiny area, if you want to know about several areas, go with BA. It's breadth over depth, I guess. A BA also gives you more room to explore [in the US, anyways]. The requirements for the BA versus the BSc are different and can reflect a different style of learning or approach to knowledge. If you're not interested in studying in the US, I don't know how much of this information is helpful since most of my experience is based in this one country. Where do you want to study, and do you know what you want to be/do with your life on a professional level?