Maths HL- Urgent Advice Please

kisskoli

Okay, so I had my maths HL paper 1 mock today- 1st time ever of seeing a past paper (finals in may 2010....110 days until 1st maths exam!XD) and O literally did not come to an answer on a single question

I have to get a 6 to get into uni :D

has anyone got any advice...i understand the topics ok but i just cant answer any questions, and as we missed 3 months of school at the beginning of IB as something happened to the building, we are really behind so have no time to try questions in class with the teacher

im sooo scared :D

oo and im new to this site, so how do i know if somebody has replied to this?

thanxx :D

Oh...Well. First of all, don't panic. I'm surprised that your school has not exposed your class to any IB type questions, because as you probably know now, they are quite different from what you are used to from the textbook. This does not however mean that all of them are very hard, once familiarize yourself with the different types of questions, it always goes a lot better. Be glad that you know about this know, as there is still time to do something about it.

This is what I suggest you do:

- Ask your teacher for past IB questions.

- Carefully go through the markschemes, but make sure you have tried to answer the questions first.

- Start revising the topics you feel you are weak in. I would suggest browsing for math videos on youtube.com, if you can't understand something.

- Finish your portfolios. I hope your school hasn't missed out on these.

- Know your calculator.

Don't worry, it might seem impossible, but I'm sure you'll drastically improve your grade by following the points listed above.

Oh...Well. First of all, don't panic. I'm surprised that your school has not exposed your class to any IB type questions, because as you probably know now, they are quite different from what you are used to from the textbook. This does not however mean that all of them are very hard, once familiarize yourself with the different types of questions, it always goes a lot better. Be glad that you know about this know, as there is still time to do something about it.

- Carefully go through the markschemes, but make sure you have tried to answer the questions first.

- Start revising the topics you feel you are weak in. I would suggest browsing for math videos on youtube.com, if you can't understand something.

- Know your calculator.

Don't worry, it might seem impossible, but I'm sure you'll drastically improve your grade by following the points listed above.

ok thanks for ur advice XD

yee! the textbook questions are so straightforward! i was shocked in the mock!

We've not started the portafolios yet :D

- Know your calculator.

ok thanks for ur advice XD

We've not started the portafolios yet :D

Ouch! By this time you should at least be done with one of them. You should really talk to your teacher about this, as the portfolios take time and effort. You have started on your Extended Essay, right?

- Know your calculator.

ok thanks for ur advice :D

We've not started the portafolios yet XD

Ouch! By this time you should at least be done with one of them. You should really talk to your teacher about this, as the portfolios take time and effort. You have started on your Extended Essay, right?

oh noo :D

urm...ive not started writing it yet...was going to do that after mocks

omgsh i think we are really behind :D

its the first year of 6th form/ib in my school!

this is what we have left to do:

bio and chem HL practicals and writeup things

math portafolios

english world lit final draft

english oral (1 done, 1 to go)

itgs IA ...started with that gonna be finished soon

spanish orals (3 group and one individual- scheduled for feb-march)

tok essay and presentation

ee

...as far as i know..

is this not normal?

Edited by sweetnsimple786
Please don't use text talk.

Well...I hate to tell you this, but that is not normal.

Schools usually set internal deadlines throughout the course of the two years to try to distribute the workload evenly and assure that the work does not get piled up towards the end.

To give you an idea, I can tell you what I'm done with:

- 1 out of 2 math portfolios. We got the second one handed out today.

- History IA. Had to hand in at the end of IB1.

- Extended Essay. Handed in 27th of November. Most schools advice their students to do most of their EE work in the summer BEFORE IB2.

- TOK presentation.

- Both world lits in A1 language.

- IA presentation in A1 language.

What I'm not done with:

- TOK essay. The deadline for the draft is tomorrow! Yikes! Final deadline is in mid-Feb.

- Orals in A1 language. Will be doing this next month.

- Chemistry and Physics practicals. Have to do a bunch of labs in chem, but we have already done a lot in Physics.

That's about it.

It really concerns me that you haven't even started on the EE. Most schools set their internal deadline before January(as far as I've heard).

I would suggest that you try to get your EE and TOK essay completed as soon as possible, because the few weeks before the exam should really be reserved entirely for revision.

Get to work! XD

Edited by cornflake
  • Like 1

Well...I hate to tell you this, but that is not normal.

Schools usually set internal deadlines throughout the course of the two years to try to distribute the workload evenly and assure that the work does not get piled up towards the end.

To give you an idea, I can tell you what I'm done with:

- 1 out of 2 math portfolios. We got the second one handed out today.

- History IA. Had to hand in at the end of IB1.

- Extended Essay. Handed in 27th of November. Most schools advice their students to do most of their EE work in the summer BEFORE IB2.

- TOK presentation.

- Both world lits in A1 language.

- IA presentation in A1 language.

What I'm not done with:

- TOK essay. The deadline for the draft is tomorrow! Yikes! Final deadline is in mid-Feb.

- Orals in A1 language. Will be doing this next month.

- Chemistry and Physics practicals. Have to do a bunch of labs in chem, but we have already done a lot in Physics.

That's about it.

It really concerns me that you haven't even started on the EE. Most schools set their internal deadline before January(as far as I've heard).

I would suggest that you try to get your EE and TOK essay completed as soon as possible, because the few weeks before the exam should really be reserved entirely for revision.

Get to work! XD

Oh my gosh! Wow!

Okay- I'm going! :D

Do you mind if I message you in the future should I need the questions?

Thankyou for all your help!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ibmathhlfucker

Okay, so I had my maths HL paper 1 mock today- 1st time ever of seeing a past paper (finals in may 2010....110 days until 1st maths exam!:)) and O literally did not come to an answer on a single question

I have to get a 6 to get into uni :(

has anyone got any advice...i understand the topics ok but i just cant answer any questions, and as we missed 3 months of school at the beginning of IB as something happened to the building, we are really behind so have no time to try questions in class with the teacher

im sooo scared :)

oo and im new to this site, so how do i know if somebody has replied to this?

thanxx :)

well i had my paper 1 mocks a few days ago too and they weren't so bad. in fact they were all ib past paper questions that i had done before. i was able to do them because i was exposed to ib type questions. find a website where you can get past papers and download all of them. practice at home everyday if you want to get a 6 in math HL. its not like SL, a walk in the park. i believe its the hardest subject in ib other than maybe philosophy, but who would take that? :) so basically practice practice practice thats how you get better in math.

Dunno if you'll be interested but you should check out Schaum's series. I found the textbook pretty crappy when it comes to studying, the questions in there don't even compare to the ones in the text/exam. In my opinion, a textbook's questions should be harder or even much harder than the actual exam's but maybe that's just me.

Anyways, for example if you suck at Calculus, you might be interested in Schaum's Outline of Calculus. To sum up it's contents, it gives you a quick review of each topic, like Triple Integrals, and then throws a whole bunch of fully-worked out problems at you and then you get another whole bunch of problems which you get to solve yourself.

I haven't tried the Calculus one yet so can't comment, but I didn't get Complex numbers at all so I picked up my dad's ancient edition of Schaum's Complex Variables and worked through a bit of it. It was hellishly hard compared to anything I've seen before but it made the test piss-easy. It seems that since the books are all written by different authors and cover each topic differently, some may be much harder than others, but from what I've seen, I'm sticking to using them to study. They're also pretty cheap, the calculus one is only like $13 on Amazon, and are most certainly worth it. You can also check out the e-book version if you're curious as long as you know where to look :D

Edited by TidusBlade