World Literature Coursework Word limits!

IBFreakOut

OK, so lucky me has her coursework deadlines coming up early Feb, so I need to get these things done and dusted and out of my hair!

Just needed to check a couple of things ...

Firstly, my first piece of WL coursework was on Metamorphosis and The Outsider/ The Stranger, and I was aware that the word limit was 1500. However, someone told me that we were allowed 10% over, so would that mean that if I subitted my current essay with 1640 words, that should be ok?

Secondly, I have no idea as to the word limit for my second Higher Level piece on Antigone ... is the word limit the same as my Standard one, or a little more? I was under the impression I was allowed 2000, and possibly the 10% again ... is this correct?

Would REALLY appreciate some feedback ASAP, as I would like to get these out of the way so I can focus on revision XD

Cheers guys!

WL1 and 2 have word lengths of 1000-1500. I think it's the Historical Investigation for students taking History that has a 2000 word limit.

And yeah, I think they will accept 10% over or under, but they might count off for it. That is, rather than not accepting your paper, you won't be eligible for full points in one of the categories. This is my guess. I'm not certain.

I suggest you remove about 140 words from your essay. As much as I hate saying this, being concise is something you have to do. Most likely, you have extra words in description that can be reworded or left out. Ask a teacher or peer for advice on where you can cut down.

• Like 1

Ahh I see, so I'm basically better off just sticking to a safe 1500?

Great, just means I have to get rid of some 140 words, but I will try my best either way :)

And I was aware that the title didn't count in the word count, along with footnotes, contents page and bibliography ... am I wrong to think this?

Silly if we end up suffering just for going a few words over for our title ... surely the word-count should be applied to the BODY of the essay, and not the fiddly things involved in general presentation?Cheers for your help guys! :hug:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes - the footnotes, contents, bibliography don't count in the word count for world lit.. but I was told that we'd be caned severely by the IB if we even went one word over 1500 because it stipulates clearly in the criteria that 'the candidate stayed within the prescribed word limit'.