Biology Practicals!

IBFreakOut

OK, so I'm a tad confused as to how all our Bio pracs are assessed.

I'm aware we have to complete 60 hours of practical over the two years, not all assessed, but do we have to hand all the non-assessed ones in for a mark? Only I'm sure some of my non-assessed just consisted of computer database searches and what-not, and I am also sure not all of my non-assessed sheets have been handed in to my tutor. Does this affect me a lot, as an individual, or does my tutor only need a few examples from some students to prove the full 60 hours have been done? Are the 60 hours monitored over the whole class, or for each student individually?

Also, I know that 3 examples of assessed practicals are sent off and assessed, and I have done around 10 with my tutor. The idea was that if we did 10, then the top 3 get sent off for marking. However, I haven't actually handed in ALL of my write-ups (say I've handed in about 8). HOw does this affect me? Will this affect my hours of prac also?

I'm mega confused!!

Would appreciate feedback ASAP, as I need to know how much I have to do to catch up!

Many thanks XD

You have a design section, a DCP (Data Collection and Processing) section and a CE (Conclusion and Evaluation) section for each. He needs to have 2 examples of Design, 2 exaples of DCP and 2 examples of CE each marked out of a total of 6 points. Don't worry about the non-moderated one's two much since your teacher is keeping a record of that. He'll ask for some evidence but since only a few are required to be sent for evidence you don't have to worry about every individual practical.

What you, as a student, need to do is to focus on the lab raports you have to hand in and look up the criteria and make sure you don't go wrong on any minuted detail since the difference between a Complete and a Partial is paper thin. Complete = 2 points out of 2 and Partial 1 out of 2.

Hope this helps

You have a design section, a DCP (Data Collection and Processing) section and a CE (Conclusion and Evaluation) section for each. He needs to have 2 examples of Design, 2 exaples of DCP and 2 examples of CE each marked out of a total of 6 points. Don't worry about the non-moderated one's two much since your teacher is keeping a record of that. He'll ask for some evidence but since only a few are required to be sent for evidence you don't have to worry about every individual practical.

What you, as a student, need to do is to focus on the lab raports you have to hand in and look up the criteria and make sure you don't go wrong on any minuted detail since the difference between a Complete and a Partial is paper thin. Complete = 2 points out of 2 and Partial 1 out of 2.

Hope this helps

Aah, this actually clears things up a little bit. The only problem is I'm not exactly scientifically minded, thus I'm not entirely sure how to write and set out an acceptable Lab Report, never mind make sure I'm meeting all the criteria!

Is there anywhere I can go to get advice as to how to write and set out a decent report?

Many Thanks again for the swift reply - much appreciated!! XD