Extra Points

AmelieRory

Hellloo! So I have a friend doing A-levels and he's been telling me how he can get something like 3% extra marks for "trauma" (a relative recently died) and another couple because he is suffering from stress... yer, something like that. Basically, apparently you can claim extra marks for things like stress ( :) ), if your neighbor was writing too loudly while you were taking the test, etc - it all seems completely ridiculous, but they exist. (Again, apparently)

So I was wondering, could we get these for our IB exams? I'm guessing not, but I figured I might as well ask anyway haha :S

No. The IB is an absolute ogre about giving you allowances. You can break your leg and miss an exam and you would fail that exam, so they're not going to give you points for 'stress'. No retake, no make up point or anything. You have to suffer near apocalypse for the IB to provide you with a make-up exam.

Ok, correction, no retake possible in the same exam session. You can wait till the next session and retake, effectively wasting 6 months of your life.

No. The IB is an absolute ogre about giving you allowances. You can break your leg and miss an exam and you would fail that exam, so they're not going to give you points for 'stress'. No retake, no make up point or anything. You have to suffer near apocalypse for the IB to provide you with a make-up exam.

Umm I don't think the IB's that tough if its an illness or disease. There was one student in our school who became sick before the exams and ended up missing her exams but ended up making them later. She certainly didn't fail any exam :S

Umm I don't think the IB's that tough if its an illness or disease. There was one student in our school who became sick before the exams and ended up missing her exams but ended up making them later. She certainly didn't fail any exam :S

I assume this would be re-takes the following exam session, though. The IB (and in fact I don't think any exam board does) don't let you take an exam late unless we're talking in minutes and you come in a certain percentage of the way through an exam which has already started. The only thing I've ever heard them making an exception for would be the swine flu in Mexico, and even then it wasn't so much an exception re: redoing the exam or taking it later as much as allowing marks to be taken form coursework. If you miss an exam, you've failed it, no matter what horrific thing caused you to miss it -- and similarly if you do badly in an exam, you've done badly. They don't award marks based on coursework (except for that one time in Mexico) and so effectively you're forced into doing a re-take the next session. Generally heartless, although being fair you can see why.

• 3 weeks later...

At my school, we got told that if during our exams, we got sick, such as vomiting etc, we still had to show up for the exam. Also, a couple of years ago a year 12 student died a few weeks before the IB exams, and all their classmates still had to take their exams with no special allowances. I do believe the IB are very tough when it comes to special circumstances.