Sign in to follow this  

Footnotes in Biology Extended Essay?

Hi,

i'm writing my extended essay in Biology, attempting to answer the question “how much would it affect an athlete's homeostatic system if they choose to eat the seemingly unfavourable selection of a spicy food before exercising?” .

I'm doing an experiment on ten students, five eating one plain slice of bread each, and the other five each eating one slice of bread with ten added drops of tabasco placed randomly. their temperature is taken before and after they eat, and one minute after they've eaten, they will run up and down two flights of stairs five times as fast as they can, and their temperature will be taken again after this exercise.

my question is, if i'm doing an experiment, is it true that i don't need as many footnotes as those who write EEs in history or english, for example?

please give me as much feedback as you can. i'd really appreciate it.

thanks!

Edited by mangoendurance

I don't think there's any quota for footnotes, regardless of the subject of your EE. The presence/absence of footnotes is up to the student [and maybe the supervisor, if he/she recommends one way or another]. To answer your question, yeah I don't think that you'd to worry about having few footnotes. I use footnotes in my history EE for citation and for defining terms and referring to an appendix or something. You might want to do the same thing. In that sense, there wouldn't be a difference. It's up to you. Also, people often try to use footnotes to add extra information if they are over the word limit. Since science EEs often have significantly less word limits than the average EE in the humanities, I can understand why there'd be less footnotes for that reason.

I wouldn't worry too much about footnotes if I was you. I have a friend who wrote a Biology EE and she did not have that many footnotes but she had Appendix after Appendix with information in order to lessen her word count.

Not too many people in my year used footnotes other than for citations. I did my essay in English and I used none.

The concern with footnotes is that the marker does not have to read them, so do not put any very essential info in them.