What is your main reason for doing IB

Amber

Uh.......good question.

My junior high teachers knew I wasn't being challenged enough, so they brought up the notion of IB. Also, my next door neighbour just happened to teach IB history at the high school I was about to attend, and so I kept getting information and stories from him. And then my father jumped on the bandwagon with my mother soon to follow, and I found myself surrounded by a whole bunch of people that were IB-crazy. So I essentially gave in. :hug:

• 1 month later...

My dad made me apply, I didn't think I was gonna get accepted, but I did. So I wasn't sure if I wanted to go or not. So I took the risk (after HOURS of research) and decided I didn't want to go, but my dad said I had to lol. I am starting next yea =S

My school has both IB and NCEA (the NZ qualification), and there's a lot of pressure on the students with higher results to choose to do IB. It was also one of the main attractions for going to the school in the first place; it's the only IB school in the area, and that's quite a novelty in a country where it's almost unheard of to have any qualifications other than NCEA. NCEA itself, as the alternative, is incredibly flawed, and just has a system of marking and grading which I don't agree with, so rather than submit myself to two more years of that, I did IB. I guess I'm also tempted by the idea of university overseas, unlikely as that is.. and I like the community that's developed among the IB students in my year.

To be quite honest I didn't go into IB for the benefits of the program itself; I went in it simply for the learning environment. I don't think I'd handle being in the regular classes very well. Too many kids who don't take their education seriously and interfere with other people's learning....

I think I did it because I like facing challenges. I'm a bit of a busy-body: if I have absolutely nothing to do, such as during the start of some breaks, I will be extremely bored. All the work takes my mind off of the fact that I could be doing nothing at the moment.

Would I say I regret it? Well, I could trade in for some of those 2-3AM study nights or breaks spent doing my EE/IAs. In fact, I'll have to admit that I'm jealous of Facebook statuses of those who proclaim that they're going to bed at 12am. However, I think I still would've gone through with it anyways.

I was interested originally because it offered an internationally-recognized diploma, something I thought I might need.

I stayed because as challenging as the workload was, I was able to get better, and it made me feel good about myself that I could really apply myself to something and see improvement. I also found great support among friends & teachers. =)

university Credit... what else. you think i like waking up to piles of homework. the inevitable 150 glorious hours of CAS and economics internal assesments that just dont seem to end, yes university credit is the only reason i am doing this! lol

:/ From what I've read, AP courses get you a lot more university credit than IB.

But um yeah. My school only does IB, so for me "What is your main reason for doing IB?" would sort of be like "What is your main reason for staying at your school?" :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest saturday

I didn't get another option, and since I wanted to do my education in English, IB was the only option I got, unless I wanted to go to an ordinary school and face a bigger and scarier prospect then IB. Having to study in my native language that I have pretty much forgotten.

I wanted to get university credit and save some money. I always challenge myself, and since I heard of IB I knew I would be going into it. I was also misinformed about the program. It was only until second year that I realised you had to get 5's and 6's for HL courses to get university credit, and no credit for SL - I'm still not sure what the benefit of taking SL courses is. Also for one of the universities I applied to, you need 34 points 0r 90% in regular classes to get a $5000 scholarship- 90% would be way easier. I didn't know I would sacrifice my entire summer doing the extended essay, chem options, and the geography feild study. And I would have had more time to apply for scholarships and to stay in band and rugby if I hadn't done IB. Lots of people freaked out and dropped it, but I stayed in Diploma because I didn't want to waste a year full of work.

actually i thought it would be fun. that was when i applied in middle school. then i got in and immediately regretted it. but while i hate falling asleep at 2:30am and waking up at 5:00 for another wonderful day of ib, i feel like such a badass when i actually manage to get everything done somehow. Thats what makes me stay in the damn program. And it helped me get into Yale and the school im gonna go to (i decided not to go to Yale). I still hope every morning that the homework fairies will maybe do all my work for me by the time i get up. one of these days... anyways im just waiting out the last few months before graduation.

I'm going to be doing it because it's the only option in my school. HOWEVER, I AM thinking about switching schools :coffee: Although it really depends... I love how IB gives you much more UCAS points :) But CAS and having to study a science AND a second language frustrates me to no end.