Extended Essay in History

Strummer

Hi, first post and was just wondering how many people did their EE in history and how hard or easy they found it to do and what grades they might have got. I'm coming to a point now where I have to make a choice as to which subject I'm going to do it in, and as I'm practicaly the only one thinking about doing one in history I'd like to hear some second opinions on the subject. Other people I know from my school who did one in history both got Cs and I don't know if this is because the essays weren't brilliant or because its hard to hit the criteria. As I'd like to study History and Politics in the future I'm looking at doing an essay on how politics effected youth and alternative movements in 1970s Britain (e.g. effects of economic depression and cold war, Punk movement, national front vs. Rock against Racism and an increased acceptance of black culture and black influence in mainstream music, squatters etc.) although this is only a rough idea. My other option would be to do one in English Literature. Any advice would be much appreciated. :)

Strummer.

• 2 weeks later...

3 people, including me, in my class did the EE on History. Mine was about Johnson and the Vietnam War - I got predicted 33 EE points I think which my teacher told me would be an A.

Tips:

1. Take a topic that interests you so enjoy doing it. (I'd advice you to take either the economic depression or cold war, though, among your list of interests.)

2. Be very specific with your question.

3. It would be a big advantage if you study something that could be quite related to your history course.

Edited by SushiMonstar

I did my EE in history and I got an A.

It was actually quite enjoyable to conduct the research and write the paper for me because it was a topic I'd been interested in since I was 11 haha. So pick something that you're really interested in, make sure it's focused and not too broad, and also make sure that you're going to be able to find an adequate number of good (primary/secondary) resources on it. If most of the information can only be found on internet sites rather than journal articles, historical documents (telegraphs, diaries, interviews, newspapers, etc) then I would scrap the idea.

And while it would be highly beneficial if you had already learned about the subject before, it's not necessary. I didn't even take IB history so I had no previous knowledge and I still did fine :P.

Edited by __inthemaking

Thanks for the advice :) Very helpful. I think I'm going to have to do a bit more research and thinking etc. before I decide my title and narrow things down, but its's good to know that you've done well and enjoyed writing your EEs in History. Inthemaking could I ask what topic chose to do it in? (Just out of interest.)