Light Intensity Photosynthesis IA

Feist

For my IA I'm investigating the effect of differing light intensities on the rate of photosynthesis on corn plants. I was thinking of planting the plants, controlling all variables while waiting for them to sprout out of the soil, then apply the light.

To do light intensity, I thought of buying a lamp or lamps and putting different watts of bulbs, like 5 10 15 and attaching a timer that would go on at the sunrise and sunset predicted for each day. Should the lights be flourescent? And would it be a more appropriate approach to change the distance of the light from the plant rather than the watts?

Any other advice is welcome! :hug:

You're going to want light but not heat, so fluorescent would be better than the normal incandescent ones. Can you buy small fluorescent bulbs? Cheaply? Once again, you don't want to spend a lot of money on your EE if there's no reason for it. I'd use natural sunlight as one source and then I'd think about changing distance rather than wattage, being careful about how much surface area you're exposing to the light. Honestly, I haven't thought about changing the intensity of light. Would results show a feasible difference? I would have just changed the time exposed to sunlight or something. How are you planning on collecting data? Make sure that doesn't interfere with the actual experiment.

Well I just discovered that above my counters there is lighting consisting of those long fluorescent tubes, so they would be perfect for plants to sit under. The wattages are 20, 30 and 40. I'm also doing a "controlled" plant that sits in front of normal sunlight so even if the difference between the wattages aren't big enough I can still talk about artificial light as opposed to sunlight. I was just thinking of collecting data by measuring the height of the plants?

I'm still not sure about time though, I'm worried that it's going to be really wasteful if I'm turning on those lights for hours on hours for 2 weeks.

p.s. thanks for the response!

Edited by Feist

Well I just discovered that above my counters there is lighting consisting of those long fluorescent tubes, so they would be perfect for plants to sit under. The wattages are 20, 30 and 40. I'm also doing a "controlled" plant that sits in front of normal sunlight so even if the difference between the wattages aren't big enough I can still talk about artificial light as opposed to sunlight. I was just thinking of collecting data by measuring the height of the plants?

I'm still not sure about time though, I'm worried that it's going to be really wasteful if I'm turning on those lights for hours on hours for 2 weeks.

p.s. thanks for the response!

I remember doing a similar IA before.

Varying distances is the best way to go, and use the same bulbs for every trial

Measure the height of the plants? wth, that would be pretty inconvenient.

Look back at the factors that affect your rate of photosynthesis, and what makes photosynthesis "measurable".

tbh, your over-complicating things. Make it as simple as possible. Idk what your teacher told you, but check with your friends, or PM me for more suggestions.