word lit paper 1 ideas

stephhh

Hello Im in the process of writting my first world lit paper and Im comparing We by yevgeny zamyatin and one day in the life of ivan denisovich by alexander solzhenitsyn and well my topic is HOW CONTROLLED SOCIETIES MOLDED/AFFECTED THE PROTAGONIST and Im stuck I dont know how to start so any ideas to a killer intro and comparison points will be greatly appreciated thanks :hug:

Sorry Steph--we can help organize your ideas, but we can't churn them out for you.

I find it easier to write my intro after I have my thesis sentence and finish my body paragraphs. I aim for 2-3 main points of comparison common to both works. So for your topic, in what ways do these restricted societies shape the protagonist? Do they dictate what he/she can/cannot say/do? And what effect does this restriction have? Just flesh ideas like that out some and you'll have the content of your paper. =)

Sorry Steph--we can help organize your ideas, but we can't churn them out for you.

I find it easier to write my intro after I have my thesis sentence and finish my body paragraphs. I aim for 2-3 main points of comparison common to both works. So for your topic, in what ways do these restricted societies shape the protagonist? Do they dictate what he/she can/cannot say/do? And what effect does this restriction have? Just flesh ideas like that out some and you'll have the content of your paper. =)

Oh I see thanks anyways for the advice helps alot

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Im in the process of writting my first world lit paper and Im comparing We by yevgeny zamyatin and one day in the life of ivan denisovich by alexander solzhenitsyn and well my topic is HOW CONTROLLED SOCIETIES MOLDED/AFFECTED THE PROTAGONIST and Im stuck I dont know how to start so any ideas to a killer intro and comparison points will be greatly appreciated thanks :(

Perhaps if you can't think of any points of comparison, you're doing the wrong question! It makes more sense to pick a question based on what points you can formulate than generating a question with no clue how to answer it. It's not often in life that you get to pick your own question so you have to make the most of it :)

The easiest way to think of points of comparison is to go through both texts finding examples of what you're looking at. Then see how you can tie them together -- sometimes novels will have no corresponding examples at all, but then that's also a point of comparison that one uses X where the other doesn't at all. When I did my WL (being fair, I did it on a question I had tonnes to say about, and that's why I picked it!) I listed all possible points from both novels on the back of a scrap of paper and then linked them up like that. Easy way to make sure you don't miss anything and to spot all the parallels.

It really depends on how you like to operate, but personally I prefer doing the opposite of what Sweetnsimple does. I like to lay out the principal themes I'm going to cover in my introduction and then they direct the flow of the rest of the essay -- so your intro is the first thing you do. All you need is to do is lay out the overarching themes and you're sorted, plus it gives your essay a lot of continuity to be able to refer back to the intro throughout. What you've discovered or confirmed goes in your conclusion at the end, but you can't know that until after you've written the body. Often I find points spring up as you go along and you spot things you hadn't considered before :(